Options
2»

Comments

• amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:04PM
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    An oil filled radiator does not get its energy from a themal store - it's an on demand heater that connected to the electricity supply and uses power when you require heat.

A thermal store usually heats water on off-peak electricity and then provides heat during the day when it's required via conventional radiators. It's provides also your hot water as well.

So what actually do you have and how do you use it. How is it controlled. What the make and model of the store and have you got pipes running around the house to radiators or are they just wired in.

A bit more info is required before anyone can understand what you've got

Hi Dave.

No problem.

I have standard rate electric at the moment. The Thermal store is supplying only the hot water and is on its own spur from the Consumer Unit.

The mix of Oil filled electric Rads are also on their own spur from the Consumer Unit.

The Hot water and heating are essentially two separate items as the thermal store doesn't hold enough BTU for heating too - Still I digress...

The main question is essentially for heating alone, should I replace the oil filled radiators with storage heaters and Economy 7? During the winter when the heating is on I am using about 3 times as much electricity to heat the house as when the heating is off.

Heating on = about 50 units a day.
    Heating off = about 15 units a day.

I think I have worked it out, I don't think it is worth it yet. What do you think of my calculations;

Heating on

150 days on 50 units = 7500 units - (15p * 150 days = 2250 units (Non Heating)) = 5250 units
    So over 150 days when the heating is on I use an additional 5250 units for the heating.
    5250 units divide by 150 days heating = 35 units - check ok.
    Economy 7 rate @ 10p a unit = 3.50 a day
    3.50 multiply 150 days = 525.00 on heating.

215 day Heating Off (reminder of the year)

15 units multiply 20p = 3.00 a day
    3.00 multiply by 365 days = 1095.00 (total minus the heating calculated above)

Total for the year = 1620.00

Rates (excluding standing rate 35p)

Day 20p
    Night 10p

So it seems even with Economy 7 the heating will be about 400.00 more than the 1,200.00 I'm paying.

Does that seem right?
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    - about ± £30% more expensive
    - thermal store or just a bog standard top-feed immersion heater ?
    - - name [or picture of] the thermal store ?
    - name or [or picture of]the water controller ?
    - name of current electricity tariff ?
    - 5/12ths for 5 months or is the water 12/12 months ?

You've done this before Richie... I think it is about 30% more expensive then standard rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure