A little help would be so greatly appreciated (ESA)

Options
13»

Comments

• lilpenguini
    Options
    Ah, OK, thank you :beer:
  • lilpenguini
    Options
    So actually is there no point ringing the ESA helpline about clarification on what they are asking for/why?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So actually is there no point ringing the ESA helpline about clarification on what they are asking for/why?

I would say that you do not need to telephone them. Just reply to the letter.
  • lilpenguini
    Options
    My brother won't let me send his bank statements :(
    He is too ashamed and fearful of anything they might say to him. He is worried about them contacting his boyfriend who does not want to know he has autism.
    Thus he wants me to withdraw his claim. Urgh.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April 2018 at 5:52PM
    Options
    My brother won't let me send his bank statements :(
    He is too ashamed and fearful of anything they might say to him. He is worried about them contacting his boyfriend who does not want to know he has autism.
    Thus he wants me to withdraw his claim. Urgh.

A difficult situation for you..........

As you are not officially his appointee then you cannot send his bank statements without his permission.

You say that you are handling his finances as regards his addiction. Is this an informal thing or an official agreement by him made through a recognised official body?

if you cannot send his bank statements without his authority then I would just leave it for now. You do not have to close his claim. He can continue to receive his contribution based ESA.

Has he agreed to you officially being his appointee to deal with all his benefit claims? If he has then you need to get this in place asap. Google for how to do this.

If the DWP are allowing you to speak on his behalf at the moment then you could telephone them and explain the situation - he will not agree to your sending his bank statements and the reasons why. Also explain that you are seeking to be his appointee asap.

If none of these is possible then you will just have to leave it as a contribution based claim.

If the DWP will only speak to you with him present then perhaps write to them explaining everything instead.

Only my suggestions.

You will not want to make your brother more anxious so just go through your options which I have outlined and choose the one that you and your brother are most comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure