PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dad wants a share of property

Options
124»

Comments

• namsoni
    namsoni Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Is your father in a position to lend you the whole of the purchase price of a property?

If so, a formal loan agreement could be drawn up by a solicitor whereby you would repay your father (interest/capital) over the term agreed and he would take a first charge on the property - ie, he would be your mortgagee.

He is, but I feel like him being my sole mortgagee would be an even worse situation than the one I almost ended up in. I'm now looking into buying with a friend, because sadly, I would trust my mate (and many others), a lot more than I'd trust my dad (and no, it's not just because of this).
    G_M wrote: »
    This is a real shame.

In these days, I really feeel for young people. Affording a property nowadays for a young person is so much harder than it was 'in my day'.

I used to be a strong advocate of the young standing on their own 2 feet and earning what they need. But watching my nephews and nieces struggle I am now much more sympathetic to the idea of parental/family help to get started with housing. In the south especially, it's often the only way.

You father clearly has resources. He also clearly wishes to help. But he also clearly has issues (of trust? of his own future financial security? whatever) and this is making it really hard for you to plan & move forward.

:(

Thank you for being understanding. I did anticipate a backlash along the lines of being an entitled millenial, but actually most of you have been really empathetic. He does have big issues when it comes to money, and even said so himself this week, saying it is "psychological". He's always been like that, and the only thing I can really attribute it to, is that he was a refugee, and his family ended up with nothing after being quite wealthy. I think that's led to a paranoia about losing everything again. I can understand that, but if that extends to not trusting your family, then its a real shame. Que sera!
  • ukdw
    ukdw Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 April 2018 at 6:11AM
    Options
    Looking at AnotherJoe post and thinking out loud on this onet - To solve the hypothetical future divorces problem for a currently unmarried child then I wonder whether an agreement to give the money back to parents in the event of getting married in the future could work. Obviously the child wouldnt actually have the cash to pay them back before getting married so it would have to be made into an open ended loan at that stage. Appreciate that it could result a difficult conversations with a future fiance - but it would at least protect half the money from being lost in a hypothetical future divorce.

Also you could potentially argue that this agreement wasnt really relevant to the current mortgage provider as your whole mortgage affordability/house ownership situation would be changing substantially anyway if you got married in the future.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The Barclays option ties your dads money up for 3 years then if you are keeping your end of the bargain by paying the mortgage, he can have it back with interest.

regular lenders will not be happy with a loan.

by using te springboard it also has a 3rd party making the rules for loan so if he want to change his mind he is not dealing with you.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Good question, I have no idea. Maybe neither but as interest ?

What do the terms of the loan say?

if it is tied to the value of the house when you write of the loan you most probably create a PET at the current value of that share not the original value of the loan, that has IHT implications

There's no concept of deprivation of benefits since i have other money and this is done very far in advance of any such need and no sign of it

Its a loan so the deprivation questions have not happened yet it is still one of your assets.
    The time you need to consider any deprivation issues is at the time you write it off and convert it to a gift from a loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure