ESA claim for my son

Options

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,988 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    If he's a full time student and also receives PIP or DLA he doesn't need a fit note at all to claim ESA
    Thanks. That's what i originally thought because he already has LCW. Then i confused myself with the 13 week assessment phase :rotfl:
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    w06 wrote: »
    If he's a full time student and also receives PIP or DLA he doesn't need a fit note at all to claim ESA

ESA have requested one for the assessment phase.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    He isn't entitled to one and doesn't need one. If he can get one it might be worth just doing as they ask, but as a full time student on PIP he doesn't need one (I claimed ESA last year without one)
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I don't think that I'll have a problem getting one. It's not really a problem, and I have to take my son to the GP for something else anyway.
  • w06
    Options
    path of least resistance wise really. If his GP says no (there is an issue with being a student and sick notes) just reiterate the rules to the ESA folk, one of us can dig out the regulation that says he doesn't actually need one.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This organisation would be able to supply that regulation:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
    And may be useful in other ways.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Right
    I think this may be it:
    Regulation 33(2) of the Employment and Support Allowance Regulations 2008 (SI 2008/794)
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • w06
    edited 13 April 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Alice beat me to it and is right, bottom of page 39 at this link

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/794/pdfs/uksi_20080794_301117_en.pdf:

Additional circumstances where claimants are to be treated as having limited capability for work

33(1) For the purposes of paragraph 4(1)(d)(ii) of Schedule 1 to the Act, a claimant is to be treated as having limited capability for work on any day in respect of which that claimant is entitled to statutory sick pay.
    (2) For the purposes of an income-related allowance, a claimant is to be treated as having limited capability for work where;
    (a) that claimant is not a qualifying young person;
    (b) that claimant is receiving education; and
    (c) paragraph 6(1)(g) of Schedule 1 to the Act does not apply in accordance with regulation 18.

paragraph 6(1)(g) of Schedule 1 to the Act does not apply in accordance
    with regulation 18 means they DO receive DLA or PIP
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Thank you both. I'll see what the GP says when we go, but if he refuses, I can quote the above to the ESA people.

Your help and the time spent giving it is appreciated - I could have been in a pickle without the above details if the GP refuses :)
  • w06
    Options
    The GP may just do it, I recall having a sick note as an undergrad (many years ago) but there is a clause that means technically not entitled to one.

When I applied for ESA I just filled in any space on the form that mentioned a sick note with 'I am a full time student on PIP' seemed to do the job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure