Options
2»

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mm25 wrote: »
    Its only a short term problem, once probate has gone through she will be paying in excess of £600k into said bank account (they weren't living hand to mouth as someone has assumed, dads illness and subsequent death came as such a shock they hadn't properly got their affairs in order), but this will take several months

I really only wanted a yes or no answer, can a bank take away an overdraft facility on a JOINT bank account just because one of the account holders has died?

Once this is sorted and your mother has had some breathing space, she should look at long term financial planning, preferably with an independent financial adviser.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The first few weeks after a family death are very emotional and there are lots of things that have to happen. Adding money worries is something that you do not want. It takes time for the banks, insurers, pension providers etc to sort themselves out

It sounds as though your mum only had the joint account to access for funds.

My wife and I have accounts in addition to a joint account. As many others have seen on this forum this has benefits when a bank decides to suspend/close an account. Second accounts give access to funds while the banks go through their process. Additionally they can give access to emergency funds - as in this instance - when the unexpected happens.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport