PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sign new Tenancy Agreement or benefits will be suspended?

Options
124»

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds as if neither your LL nor your letting agent have the first idea what they are doing; how unusual, not.
  • Mr_Gnu
    Mr_Gnu Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Went to the council today they advised me to ask for new LLs bank details and tell them if he won't comply.

Both old agents and new have told me to stop standing order to old agent.

This worries me that he could start a section 21 or section 8 and have me out in two weeks for being in arrears.

I will tell new LL on Monday to give me his bank details then council can move HB across and i can pay the standing order for top ups. Hopefully he will comply.

Council advised me not to sign new 6mth AST , even the staff at front desk said same.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where do you get 2 weeks from and why are you scared of stopping the payment to the old letting agent/LL?
  • Mr_Gnu
    edited 13 April 2018 at 11:10PM
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Where do you get 2 weeks from and why are you scared of stopping the payment to the old letting agent/LL?

I was messaging shelter tonight and they put it to me that if I fall foul of the agreement, which I take to mean the ongoing tenancy agreement, that I am not paying rent as they both told me to stop the standing order for top ups.then the new LL could use section 21 and or section 8. to evict me.

The new LL has not gave me bank details to change the HB over,he wants me to sign a new AST.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr_Gnu wrote: »
    I was messaging shelter tonight and they put it to me that if I fall foul of the agreement, which I take to mean the ongoing tenancy agreement, that I am not paying rent as they both told me to stop the standing order for top ups.then the new LL could use section 21 and or section 8. to evict me.

The new LL has not gave me bank details to change the HB over,he wants me to sign a new AST.

I'm not sure why you take it to mean that. The previous owner is no longer your landlord and you have been informed of that so there is no point continuing the standing order to him or an agent acting on his behalf. You need to get the payment details for the new landlord and start paying him instead.

A Section 21 can be issued at any time and does not need a ground i.e. a reason whereas a Section 8 does require a ground. Should you be issued with a Section 8 for arrears (unlikely at this stage) and you have not been supplied with the correct bank details to make payments to then that would be your defence - how can you make payments when no one has told you when to make them?

For more information about how and when an AST can be ended please read G_M's Guide to Ending/Renewing an AST.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggest you write to the new LL/LA asking formally for bank details. Say you have been told by the council to stop paying rent to the old agency but will keep the money to pay the new LL/LA as soon as new bank details are supplied. I imagine the LL/LA will do the same (stop paying rent).

It is for the new LA and old LA to communicate with each other to sort out the rent that has been paid to the wrong place by the council and yourself. As no correct bank details have been provided that is not your fault.

Keep a copy of the letter, get proof of posting (provided for free at post office). If there were any problems you can demonstrate the efforts you have made to obtain bank details and that you have kept the money ready to pay it.
  • Mr_Gnu
    edited 16 April 2018 at 5:09PM
    Options
    Many thanks for your helpful replies.

I have been to council with bank details given to me this morning by the new LL but they weren't interested.

They suspended my claim until they get a new AST, they said I can add a break clause (?) at the bottom of it stating I can move before 6 mths ,and they also want proof that the new LL owns the property.

So I phoned the new LL and they will come out to see me have me sign the AST and inspect the house then I imagine they will take it from there.

I am due to view a house in 2 to 3 weeks and will be glad when it's all over as I tend to worry,especially with the mixed messages given to me by the council, also have very little faith in the new LL.

I can now pay the rent top ups to the new LL. EDIT, I might wait until I have signed the AST.Worried now the new LL might want a fee.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    IF you sign a new tenancy you need to make sure it is water tight in allowing you to give notice and leave at any time.

You can't just "add in a clause".

You could be tied into another 6 months. Do not just take your 'LL word for it.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the council are (rightly or wrongly) insisting on a new AST ask for a contractual periodic tenancy.
  • Mr_Gnu
    edited 19 April 2018 at 5:21PM
    Options
    HampshireH wrote: »
    IF you sign a new tenancy you need to make sure it is water tight in allowing you to give notice and leave at any time.

You can't just "add in a clause".

You could be tied into another 6 months. Do not just take your 'LL word for it.
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    If the council are (rightly or wrongly) insisting on a new AST ask for a contractual periodic tenancy.

Really wary of signing it now.

Just got off phone to shelter, no need to sign a new AST ! everyone except the silly person who suspended my HB agrees on this.:mad:

The shelter chap said to get a letter of proof of ownership from LL/agents letter with bank details on it,and take it to council and get CAB involved.

I asked the agents yesterday and today for an email with the bank details for top ups to be paid but they still haven't sent one.

EDIT UPDATE :
    Weds 18th April.

Been on phone to CAB and welfare rights both said to sign a new AST otherwise things will get worse.Phoned ESA to see if I will still get paid but got automated message saying wait and see.

Phoned new LL they are coming round tomorrow with a AST with a break clause. I'll take that to council on Friday.

The agents say they don't do periodic tenacies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure