HGV training, do you need to learn to drive a car first?

Options
2»

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know how much things have changed recently, but when my brother was unemployed a few years ago, my late parents paid for him to do a HGV course, and get his HGV licence.

But he couldn't get a driving job without experience, and he couldn't get experience without a driving job.

Seems that no-one would entrust 40 tonnes of expensive truck and cargo to someone who just passed their test.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having recently done this very thing myself...

For the purposes of the new driver act, you count as having passed your test when you first got your license.

As Unforseen above pointed out, there is only one license - you merely add different entitlements to it as & when you pass certain tests.
    Therefore, if you've held your bike entitlement for more than 2yrs, the New Driver act does not apply to you - be it in car or on a bike - as you have held your license for more than 2yrs.

*EDIT* However, don't for a second think that means you can add-up the number of points across cars & bikes, or any such silliness - one license means one set of points - and if you lose the license then you lose all your entitlements.

Remember - if you get too many points, you lose the LICENSE - you don't lose an entitlement.
    So any additional entitlements (car, van, hgv, etc...) that you have on your license are also lost.

If it was issued by the DVLA it’s a driving licence.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TyreLever wrote: »
    Also if I did learn to drive a car, how would the points system work. Would I be allowed up to 12 on my motorcycle part and only 6 on the car part (for the 1st 2 years)?

No. It is combined so what you get in each class of vehicle affects them all. If you've already got 6 points on your license forget doing this because you'll be lucky to find anyone to employ you.

Also when it comes to insurance if you've had an accident in your lorry at work it is still declarable on any policy you apply for for a car or motorbike.
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Options
    If it was issued by the DVLA it’s a driving licence.

Ha, spelling alert - it's a fair cop guv! :o:p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 April 2018 at 2:17PM
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    A medical?
    I didn't take a medical when doing my c and c+e only last month

You had to take one to apply for your LGV provisional license. From age 45 you need to take one every 5 years up to age 65 and then annually from thereon in.
    facade wrote: »
    I don't know how much things have changed recently, but when my brother was unemployed a few years ago, my late parents paid for him to do a HGV course, and get his HGV licence.

But he couldn't get a driving job without experience, and he couldn't get experience without a driving job.

Seems that no-one would entrust 40 tonnes of expensive truck and cargo to someone who just passed their test.
    Whereas my 22 year old son had little problem getting one when he passed his test last year. HGV driver employment agencies are the typical way in the door to get the experience and in my opinion the best way as you're not expected to be good and you can gain experience on a wide range of vehicles and load types in a very short space of time.
  • Svein_Forkbeard
    Options
    I'd go back to plan A.
    TyreLever wrote: »
    The roads have become unviable for me. Cycling is OK for short distances. Is there any form of aircraft (microlights cant be that costly?) that costs no more than a typical car?
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 April 2018 at 2:24PM
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    A medical?
    I didn't take a medical when doing my c and c+e only last month

The medical D4 form not so much a medical as a report from a doctor is when you apply for the provisional entitlement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure