ESA and tax refund

Options
Hello,
I don't really know what to do in this situation. I know that I will get tax refund but don't know who should I go to, to get information about that. Because when I had my assessment (where I just had fill out a bunch of papers) for ESA at jobcentre they did took copy of my P45. In government website it says that if you get ESA you should go to jobcentre to get tax refund. But if I already have given them required information do you think I should go there again with my P45 to get tax return or are they going deal with that from previous visit papers?

Sorry for writing so confusing but don't really know how else to explain that.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    justas31 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I don't really know what to do in this situation. I know that I will get tax refund but don't know who should I go to, to get information about that. Because when I had my assessment (where I just had fill out a bunch of papers) for ESA at jobcentre they did took copy of my P45. In government website it says that if you get ESA you should go to jobcentre to get tax refund. But if I already have given them required information do you think I should go there again with my P45 to get tax return or are they going deal with that from previous visit papers?

Sorry for writing so confusing but don't really know how else to explain that.

You will get a tax refund if you’ve paid too much tax. ESA is a bit of a red herring. You don’t get a tax refund from the jobcentre you need to contact HMRC but it’s probably already in motion due to the new tax year anyway.

When did you stop work and when was your final pay dated until? It’s only just the start of a new tax year so unless you stopped work many months ago it’s unlikely you’re due much back at all.
  • justas31
    justas31 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I stopped working in December and my last pay was in December also.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 10:37PM
    Options
    justas31 wrote: »
    I stopped working in December and my last pay was in December also.

Okay so depending on how much tax you paid and how much you actually earns that year you may qualify for a refund.

Do you have your earned amount and your tax paid amount? Usually on your last payslip. That will give you an idea of how much to expect back, though ESA is taxable too. Im guessing based on the below extract its all in motion anyway so a call to HMRC may help but its probably on its way anyway due to the end of the tax year.
    You left your job
    You cant get a tax refund straight away if youre getting any of the following:

Jobseekers Allowance
    Employment and Support Allowance
    Carers Allowance
    Incapacity Benefit, if youve been getting it for more than 28 weeks
    Give the Jobcentre Plus parts 2 and 3 of your P45. If youve overpaid tax, you may get a refund either:

at the end of the tax year
    When you get a new job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family