Scared I won't fit in plane seat

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Is that allowed?

As most flights are oversold how does one person check in to 2 seats to avoid one of the seats being used by someone else

I don't know, it would be a case of ringing the airline I think, but I remember it being in the news when the director Kevin Smith wasn't allowed to fly because he didn't fit in his seat and he was told he should have booked two, so maybe this is something there is a procedure for?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Is that allowed?

As most flights are oversold how does one person check in to 2 seats to avoid one of the seats being used by someone else

Also don't know how it actually is processed but I've read more than once of musicians booking a 2nd seat for their valuable instrument.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know about other airlines but you can purchase a 2nd seat with Ryanair

see https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#3-22
    Yes, large passengers can purchase an extra seat for comfort. To assist in your decision regarding the purchase of an extra comfort seat below, are Ryanair's seat dimensions.

RYANAIR AIRCRAFT SEAT DIMENSIONS

Seat width from between seat armrests is 43.2cms or 17 inches
    Seat depth is 58cms or 22.8 inches.

Seat height is 69 cms or 27.2 inches

Seat pitch (distance from the back of the seat to the tray table in front) 76.2 cms or 30 inches

To book an extra seat for comfort go online and select 2 seats the first seat should be booked in the actual passenger's name and the extra seat should be entered as COMFORT SEAT as the Last Name and EXTRA as the first Name. The name EXTRA COMFORT SEAT will then be displayed on the reservation and online boarding pass.
    Allocated seating in emergency rows 1,16 and 17 may not be purchased if you have purchased an extra seat for item/comfort.
    Please note that all passengers purchasing an extra seat can use online check-in. The same travel document details must be entered for both seats when checking in online. Online check-in is available from 60 days prior up to 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure times if you have purchased allocated seats. If you choose not to purchase an allocated seat check in will only be available from 7 days up to 2 hours prior to each scheduled flight departure. Free allocated seats will be available between 4 days and 2 hours before each booked flight as of 01st November 2016. There is no cabin or checked baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

Spanish Resident and Large Family subsidy is not applicable on EXTRA seats
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I dont know about other airlines but you can purchase a 2nd seat with Ryanair

see https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#3-22

Then presumably passengers purchasing a second seat would need to pay extra to book 2 seats next to each other - not much good booking a second seat and then letting Ryanair's software allocate the seats several rows apart or across the aisle from each other :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • dan28
    dan28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you fly with BA there is an opportunity to book an extra seat, too. See "Booking an extra seat for additional personal space" on https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating/reserving-your-seat
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    With respect, put the armrest up IF it is your family member or friend in the adjacent seat. If not then the armrest should remain down unless the person adjacent agrees that the space can be shared.
    +1 to this ^^^^
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How long have you got till you fly? Any medical conditions (don't answer, just a thought). If no medical issues try Cambridge diet or Exante, both VLCD where you could drop a lot of weight quickly.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jackomdj wrote: »
    How long have you got till you fly? Any medical conditions (don't answer, just a thought). If no medical issues try Cambridge diet or Exante, both VLCD where you could drop a lot of weight quickly.

And put it on again equally quickly. Complete waste of money.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    jackomdj wrote: »

Terrible terrible advice.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I fly a lot.

I have one tip (even though it looks like 4):
    • Don't book a window seat - that window is next to a solid, unyielding wall.
    • Don't book a middle seat - any incursion into other's space happens on both sides of you then.
    • Don't book an emergency exit row seat - it could be embarrassing when you ask for a seatbelt extension and find you then have to swap with someone in another row due to policy.
    • Book an isle seat - it gives you a little more space - just watch out for the drinks trolly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure