PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Assured shorthold tenancy- your most important clauses

Options
2»

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please join the RLA or NLA and you can download all sorts of documents.
    Assured short hold tenancy agreement, deed of guarantor forms, addendum forms, etc.
    The cost of joining RLA or NLA is a tax deductible expense.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Who lived in a house in the same road as this one http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53338917.html
    Oooh, that's worth a few squid.
  • Don't just rely on what's in a template - think about what's actually relevant to the property.

My halfwit of a landlord included clauses about sweeping the (non-existent) chimneys and keeping the gutters clear - despite being 3 floors up with no equipment provided, amongst others. When I queried this with him, he could only manage to utter "it's a standard clause" and failed to amend anything to reflect the actual situation.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't just rely on what's in a template - think about what's actually relevant to the property.

My halfwit of a landlord included clauses about sweeping the (non-existent) chimneys and keeping the gutters clear - despite being 3 floors up with no equipment provided, amongst others. When I queried this with him, he could only manage to utter "it's a standard clause" and failed to amend anything to reflect the actual situation.

Just goes to show, absolutely any fool can be a LL; whether they should be is a different kettle of fish.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That was not the sort of Kipper I was referring to....
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I second the advice to join the RLA. Costs about £80, a legitimate expense against tax, downloadable excellent forms for tenancy agreements, inventory etc, cheap landlord's buildings insurance, four magazines a year.....
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I normally add clauses saying that deposit certificate, inventory, epc, how to rent guide and gas certificates are included with the tenancy agreement to help prove they were all served.

I always point those out and show them all to the tenant before signing.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a clause in my AST that says the tenant is responsible for cleaning the gutters, even though they would probably need to pay someone to do it. It cost me £100 to do along with the cleaning of the windows before they moved in, so really, what the clause is saying is that they are responsible for spending £100 when required. Nothing wrong with that and the tenants didn't dispute it.
  • resilie
    resilie Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and for the advice and the "advice"...I have joined the RLA but just wanted to check if anyone had some none-template stuff up their sleeves...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure