Nervous new diarist with not one but two mortgages to clear!

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Congrats on clearing the big mortgage! :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    That is great news, well done I have 2 btl once they are mortgage free the change in income is amazing I feel very lucky. EBay has been dead I hope it brightens up in September I have 26 sewing machines to sell!
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Greent, Julicorn and Tootallulah!

I feel like a bit of a cheat really because all I did was sell my boat.....

Unless you count the enormous effort I made over the years doing internet dating - eventually met my hubby who bought the house we live in so I no longer needed my boat to live on!!!!! That was a lot of effort to be honest and a lot of ups and downs!

Got the other one to clear now...wondering if I should just wait till September before trying anything else on eBay.

26 sewing machines....wow. Thought I was bad having two - hardly use either of them. That's something I would like to change. It strikes me as a really lovely hobby. I mended several pairs of jeans the other week and it was really satisfying. Just seams had gone so it was a waste to throw them in the bin.

Have to share another jeans story. Occasionally I go to a personal shopper in John Lewis. I am not good at clothes and she is wonderful. It saves me money as I just ask for simple things like I wanted smart black trousers for work, clothes that were warm but still looked stylish and always always jeans that fit.

Last time, she recommended Levi's 714s. I bought one pair and they are great. Last week, I saw that Levi's had a sale on so I ordered a couple more pairs of them - I think they are being discontinued so I wanted to stock up. It's annoying when the ones that are a decent fit change. I am not exactly slim around the bottom area so I need the help of a decent pair of jeans! They arrived but were too big (yippee!) Levi's website sadly did not have the size down.

Then I went in John Lewis. In the corner was a pile of 714s, all reduced to £42.50 same as online. They had the size I needed. I took two pairs to the checkout and there was confusion as one pair came up as £25 on the till. The manager came over. I thought they'd amend both pairs to £42.50 but they didn't - I got given both pairs for £25! Very happy! So I have the new jeans for going out - I will keep them for best - and the patched jeans for around the house.

This has nothing to do with my mortgage clearing except that now I am stocked up on jeans, I think the only clothing I will need to see me through the next couple of years is a few more warm jumpers now we're living up north!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Oooh John Lewis personal shopper, please can you share how it works/what it costs etc? I'd love to use the service for don't know anything about the etiquette and don't want to appear a fool!

Thank you

Wish.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • JennyP
    Options
    Oooh John Lewis personal shopper, please can you share how it works/what it costs etc? I'd love to use the service for don't know anything about the etiquette and don't want to appear a fool!

Thank you

Wish.

I was exactly the same.

It is free in john lewis.

I first went with a friend. It was a Sunday and we enquired if I could see the personal shopper but they said no, you have to book and she was fully booked. We mooched about in john lewis for half an hour then the personal shopper found us and said no-one had shown up so she could see me. Since then, I have always booked. You can book online.

I saw Sarah in John Lewis in Welwyn Garden City. I live nowhere near but she's so good it's worth the trip.

There's no pressure to buy. In fact, Sarah once took a top off me as she said I should only buy stuff I loved not stuff I only sort of liked. I've taken two friends to see her. One bought nothing as she didn't feel ready for a change of wardrobe. So there really is no pressure.

Last time, I asked her to find me scarves and jewellery as I am useless at accessories and she made up complete outfits. She pushed Me out of my comfort zone a couple of times - but with great results. But she's also good at listening to what you want and asking where you'd wear outfits so you don't buy things that don't suit your lifestyle.

I am a bit evangelical about it as you can tell. Thing is, I still wear stuff from 8 years ago that she first sold me. I don't keep other clothes so long.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Thank you. That's really helpful. We're in the north, but I assume it's the same. I shall save up some pennies and book an appointment
  • JennyP
    Options
    We're in the north too now....not sure when I will next go.

I did try the personal shopper at the Trafford Centre but it wasn't as good. Haven't tried Cheadle or Leeds yet - we're half way between those two stores.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Ahh shame Trafford is my closest.
  • Runders
    Runders Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, massive congrats on clearing the big mortgage, that must feel amazing!!!
    MFW Start:[STRIKE] Sep 2014 - £110,844[/STRIKE], July 2019 New Home £190,995 :eek:
    Current: £82,999.69, £190,972.18, £188,091.57, £180,026.25
    2021MFW #97 OP Goal £296.36/£3000
    2020MFW #97 OP Goal £3104.09.09/£3000
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal £1024.99/£1000
  • JennyP
    Options
    https://pin.it/gqss4ysuv67446
    gqss4ysuv67446Today's achievement: creating cheap abstract art for our lounge! gqss4ysuv67446
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure