PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling - lowering price

Options

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wheelz wrote: »

Yes the lease (number of years) is mentioned in the ad. There is a tenant in the property until the end of April.

Well there's your problem !!!

As another poster said, take it off the market, freshen it up when they've gone, remarket at closer to the original price making sure its mentioned as vacant possession in the advert (in case previous viewers of your ad see it and assume its still tenanted )
  • cybervic
    cybervic Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wheelz wrote: »
    A flat in the same block sold for 232 in November.

Is your flat the same condition/size/layout as the other flat? Have you looked at what's has been sold at that price in your area? Are you in an area where there's a lot of BTL landlord dumping properties now and the market is going through price correction?

Tenants in situ won't put me off the property but it would certainly reflect on the offer I'm making. If you have no offer at all, the the price is too high.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you confirm the tenant will be leaving at the end of April? How? The fact that you are selling the property currently without vacant possession would suggest to any buyer that you are financially strained and they might lower their offer accordingly, or not make one at all.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 11:03AM
    Options
    I'm selling a flat in the South East originally marketed £260K. We had lots of viewings, but no offers, so after 3 weeks the EA suggesting lowering to the "next bracket". After lowering the price to a guide of £235-260K we had another flurry of viewings which resulted in some offers, our EA negogiated the offers up and we accepted one at £245K which allows us to continue our onward purchase. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't achieve closer to the original valuation, but I want to move so I've accepted the reduction.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mktuk88 wrote: »
    I'm selling a flat in the South East originally marketed £260K. We had lots of viewings, but no offers, so after 3 weeks the EA suggesting lowering to the "next bracket". After lowering the price to a guide of £235-260K we had another flurry of viewings which resulted in some offers, our EA negogiated the offers up and we accepted one at £245K which allows us to continue our onward purchase. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't achieve closer to the original valuation, but I want to move so I've accepted the reduction.

Right choice IMO.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just reduced the asking price on my own place, by £5k (from o/o £175k to o/o £170k). Despite lots of online views, have only had three viewings in a month. I think sometimes it's the intangibles that cause people to view a house as being worth less. But I can't sell my house if people are not viewing it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    I've just reduced the asking price on my own place, by £5k (from o/o £175k to o/o £170k). Despite lots of online views, have only had three viewings in a month. I think sometimes it's the intangibles that cause people to view a house as being worth less. But I can't sell my house if people are not viewing it.

Very true, but three viewings a month is probably better than many people get now.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very true, but three viewings a month is probably better than many people get now.

Not where I live, it's not. Houses within the area are viewing and selling pretty well.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Not where I live, it's not. Houses within the area are viewing and selling pretty well.

Not yours though?
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Having been in a chain held up by a tenant eviction, I will never offer on a property with a tenant in situ.

They also tend to be less well kept. Many landlords will do the bare minimum to a property.

As others have said, remove off the market, wait for tenant to vacate, refresh (paint, carpets etc) then relist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure