Aftermarket clutch issue?

Options
Horlock
Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
A query regarding buying a Second hand car.

The dealer insists that he has just installed a brand new aftermarket clutch kit including flywheel.

My worry was the noise. Not excessive, however, there was a noticeable difference in the running sound of the car when one pushed the clutch down.

Ie idling the car made one sound, push the clutch down and the sound noticeably reduced.

Having recently got shot of a car which needed a new thrust bearing because it was uneconomical to replace it, we now are faced with the issue of do we believe the garage? Is it avoid at all costs? Or is it plausible that after replacing a clutch with an aftermarket product then it is quite possible that it will have this sort of minor issue.

I took the car for a test drive and didn't notice any issue with driving it whatsoever. The dealer is offering a 3 month warranty on the car.
There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't buy it, unless it really is the last one of its kind in the entire Universe. There are bound to be others that don't make the noise, and if you did buy it you will only worry that it is about to break.

Noises that go away when you press the clutch are usually gearbox related, it could break tomorrow, in 3 months and one day, in 3 years, or last forever. Why take the risk?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Input shaft bearing on the gearbox is on the way out then.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Trust your instincts.

If it's making a noise that shouldn't be there walk away and find a different car.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Step away from the vehicle! Turn around and keep stepping away until you find another car!
    I wouldn't buy a car that had anything wrong with it unless I knew exactly what was wrong, and the price reflected that the vehicle was faulty.
    No matter what I was told.
    The old joke "They all do that sir" isn't really a joke. . .
    Although it's a pain looking for cars, there are a million of them out there.
    A good one is just around the corner.
  • peter12345678910
    Options
    Just around the corner...
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure