PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting vendors to carry out repairs after survey results

Options
2»

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Serious Issues:
    Rewire required as unsafe and outdated wiring/fuseboard
    Condemned boiler
    Heave/Landslip

What you have is something that needs maintenance.

A decent vendor would negotiate on a serious issue, but if they have anyone else interested you will find that your renegotiation will be met with withdrawal from the sale, as these aren't really problems that will cost thousands.
  • gnvqsos
    gnvqsos Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    If my buyer came back with that list of "demands" I would probably tell them where to go.

It is (in the scheme of things) a minor fault. Buy the house, perhaps negotiate a small reduction in price, then fix it to your satisfaction.

.. and lose a sale due intransigence?It iks better to listen and then make a small concession rather than act like some testosterone driven kamikaze pliot which will render you bothn acting ,looking and being discovered as foolish.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ^ What they all said.

Firstly, why is the shower leaking? Bit of sealant? Idiot user who can't understand a curtain? Poorly fitted drain? It's very unlikely to be anything major, just a good weekend's DIY. Even if it requires a bit of dismantling to get to, it's an excuse to tidy the bathroom and redecorate.

How long's the moisture been held in place? What damage has actually been done? A bit of new plasterboard here and there? Unlikely, but possible, that a bit of joist might need replacing.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Every house has maintenance, most homeowners do at least one or two things a month. Is the price is on a par with similar houses? they will all have a minor issue somewhere.
    If it is a newly renovated with the resulting price premium then you have a point.
    Frankly if I had a buyer making an issue of one relatively simple thing I would be concerned that the buyer would play silly !!!!!!s closer to exchange.
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    Lauralou79 wrote: »
    If a leaky shower is the worst thing on your survey just buy the house. It's not a massive issue.

If you go to the vendor with that list of demands I think they may well tell you where to go. Most advice on here is usually don't expect vendors to do work as they are selling so have no reason to a good repair, just cheap.

You could try the deduction route but I doubt the amount of money a leaky shower costs to fix would be that noticeable. You'll have much bigger costs maintaining a house over the years to come. Use this as practice!
    Since a leaky shower is considered 2 serious issue's for the OP I think this isn't the house for them. They should buy a new build with a warranty.
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Firstly - that's one issue, not two. Sort the leak and the damp will dry out.

Secondly - the seller will, at best, fix it as cheaply as possible.

Thirdly - the seller might simply refuse. It's a minor issue.

Fourthly - the seller might, at worst, label you a worrier and anticipate more future demands from you about inconsequential things, and start looking for a less troublesome buyer.

Buy the house, then fix the leaking shower. it's not a big job and that way you'll know it's been done properly.

Exactly this. We're on the point of contemplating that now with our own ftbs who, to not beat about the bush, are becoming a massive pain in the patootie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure