this is not a new thread but I cant find the old one

Options
Something has changed.... much for the worse. I've been a member for many years, always the same two interests. 1) Pension stuff: I mean proper pension stuff, not links or recommendations, simply full tilt, up to date information - this site has usually been borderline useless. 2) Best Credit Cards. Me, use them as an old fashioned charge card: once a month you get a bill and you pay it, in full, every time so cash back or rewards, simple as and/or zero foreign exchange fees. One that did both might be fine but more than happy to have two, one good at one thing, one good at the other - hey, what happens if one fails? Some backup, even if not ideal? How can I get to that long, long established, very well informed cash back thread? I've posted before and read frequently but can't find it at all today. I must be missing something but, what used to be so simple is today so hard.

Anyway.... Amazon M/C 0.5% in vouchers, not cash-back but 'near cash' to me. Anyone have one and anyone know which bank is underwriting it? Or a link to the original thread please!
:(

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ...cash back or rewards, simple as and/or zero foreign exchange fees. One that did both might be fine but more than happy to have two, one good at one thing, one good at the other - hey, what happens if one fails? Some backup, even if not ideal? How can I get to that long, long established, very well informed cash back thread? I've posted before and read frequently but can't find it at all today. I must be missing something but, what used to be so simple is today so hard.

This thread?: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1179441.

Cards for spending abroad: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards.

Cards for cashback: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cashback-credit-cards.
    Anyway.... Amazon M/C 0.5% in vouchers, not cash-back but 'near cash' to me. Anyone have one and anyone know which bank is underwriting it? Or a link to the original thread please!
    :(

The Amazon card is operated by NewDay, who also offer the Aqua card.

NewDay operates several cards of its own and on behalf of other companies.
  • In_the_dark_yet_again
    In_the_dark_yet_again Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2018 at 10:03AM
    Options
    Thanks, got the link.
    I've never heard of NewDay - is it a new start up or a front for one of the 'usual suspects'?
    Foreign currency is well covered - I still have my Santander Zero card of old which, while no longer available to new applicants, is still being supported in full by Santander on the original T&Cs, i.e. zero fees - zero f/x rate loading, zero cash advance fees, zero ATM fees - you pay the rate at which MasterCard settle their wholesale liabilities. Downside is 27.9% APR but I cover any cash withdrawals sameday as making them so zero cost overall - it's the only way I know how I can get cash abroad at wholesale bank to bank FX rates with absolutely no fees/loading.

Ooops - I now see Santander is issuing the Zero CCard again and the the interest rate is 18.9% rather than 27.9%; not that it matters to me as I never pay any interest. I was aware of the Halifax Clarity card offering comparable 'service' but Halifax explicitly say (or at least they did in the past) you mustn't pre-load the card or they might cancel it whereas, more often than not I, do pre-load my Santander Zero so I don't have to worry about covering the withdrawal via internet banking each and every time, just keep a rough count in my head with a top up just before I get down to zero..... I know, dead money, loss of interest on £500 but with current interest rates, the real cost is all but zero. If there's any left over when I get home, it's the 1st card I use for cash withdrawal until the balance is exhausted. I would heartily recommend it to everyone/anyone who hasn't got one, get one before they stop issuing it (again?)..... me, slightly worried that reissuing it is a precursor to a future review that concludes it isn't profitable so they stop it altogether or try it introduce some kind of monthly fee.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, got the link.
    I've never heard of NewDay - is it a new start up or a front for one of the 'usual suspects'?
    Foreign currency is well covered - I still have my Santander Zero card of old which, while no longer available to new applicants, is still being supported in full by Santander on the original T&Cs, i.e. zero fees - zero f/x rate loading, zero cash advance fees, zero ATM fees - you pay the rate at which MasterCard settle their wholesale liabilities. Downside is 27.9% APR but I cover any cash withdrawals sameday as making them so zero cost overall - it's the only way I know how I can get cash abroad at wholesale bank to bank FX rates with absolutely no fees/loading.

New Day run the Amazon credit card.

New Day have been going about 17/18 years, id not heard of them before Id got the Amazon credit card, looks like they used to or do offer the finace aspect for some store cards.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    New Day run the Amazon credit card.

New Day have been going about 17/18 years, id not heard of them before Id got the Amazon credit card, looks like they used to or do offer the finace aspect for some store cards.

House of Fraser for one IIRC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport