Probate limits?

Thankfully my question does not concern me at present but will in the future and probably many forum users.

Is the probate limit each financial organisastion uses the total held in that organisation or the total held in all financial organisations.

Eg Santanders probate limit ( the amount before grant of probate is needed to release funds to the executor) is £50,000. If the deceased had £40k in Santander and £12k in Halifax would a grant of probate be needed.?
Thank you.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don!!!8217;t think they check holdings with other banks in the same group, to to be certain you need to check with them
  • Larac
    Larac Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2018 at 7:05PM
    We found that each bank has a limit and it varies across the board. My Mum had money spread across Lloyds, Santander, Barclays and Nationwide. Anything above £30K and you can be in into grant of probate territory from our experience.
  • I understand each bank have their own limits.
    Santander is now £50k Tesco £25k Post Office £35K
    However most have told me it is only money in accounts in that bank or linked banks which would make sense. However the post office have said its the total
    if all bank accounts that count in their £35K which sounds wrong.
    Eg they say if you have £40k in Santander and £10 in post office they would want a grant of probate to release the tenner since the total estate is over £35k.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I really hope the OP is not holding everything in cash, just to avoid their estate requiring probate.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We've just done our 3rd DiY 'probate' (2 LoA & 1 probate to be precise), none of the financial organisations for ANY of them asked what the funds were in any other financial organisation, not even those that are part of the same group!

The most difficult to deal with was Nationwide, flatly refusing to release a couple of hundred pounds from a savings account without LoA/probate, even though we had the death cert that was more than sufficient for Santander to release £18k.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure