Ever told a white lie for a Competition?

andrew71andrew71 Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭
Maybe you've said your son/daughter is a year younger than they actually are? (A competition is for under 16s and your child is 17)

Or you haven't got any children but you pass nephew/niece (who you love dearly and are trying to win a prize for them)

Or you've said you are a fan of an artist just to win another prize (eg a top end phone)
2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 £250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
Craft Show Tickets
£500 That's Life mag.
Signed Manchester United Top

Replies

• MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    10.1K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guilty as charged! I do it every time I have to enter my DOB, I have a separate one just for comping. I also adjust my grandchildren's ages or addresses to fit. Then there's "I have read the T's & C's"!
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sammi86sammi86 Forumite
    509 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah, every valentines day i always mention my imaginary boyfriend!
  • OakdeneOakdene Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haha I hope someone gets landed like Del & Rodney did in ONAH where they had to pretend Rodney was 14!!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    57.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Tell us why you really, really want to win this prize

2) Vote for your favourite gunge for your hair/skin/unmentionables

3) Tick this box to confirm you are under 60kg/size 10/25 years old

4) I won't sell this prize on ebay
  • mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    45K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (without answering the question)

It is not a "white lie"
    a harmless or trivial lie, especially one told to avoid hurting someone's feelings.

but plain and simple "cheating"
    act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage
  • edited 28 March 2018 at 11:59AM
    hdh74hdh74 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 March 2018 at 11:59AM
    Don't enter for tatt I don't want so don't need to pretend to like it. Use humour for stupid, why do you want to win questions. Tell the truth if I'm entering for a relative that's not my kid where possible or move on if not. But if it was to win a mobility scooter or other item that would be life changing for a family member or the cash to buy it (not going into sob story mode) I would lie if I thought I could get away with it simply because my moral code won't let me lie for crap I don't need but would for something I felt was really really important. But I wouldn't kid myself I wasn't cheating. However, the last scenario doesn't seem to happen, in fact when I've tried to win a mobility scooter I've been very happy to be 'vetted' by the companies who don't want them going to people who would sell them on.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106
  • Enigmatic_MeEnigmatic_Me Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭✭
    I too have a comping date of birth.

Caused me endless problems though when I applied for a credit card and used my autofill :eek: Yes you have guessed it the application went through with my very much younger DOB :D

This meant I failed the first security check when I had to contact them about something. I therefore had to go in with ID. Took a special 20 mile trip to the nearest branch with my ID which they then lost and never changed on their records. I lost the plot when they asked me to go back again with ID so made an official complaint and it was eventually all sorted out. Gave me much stress though lol.
    The best things in life are free.....
  • GHolmesAdminGHolmesAdmin Forumite
    295 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, whatever kind of relative, friend, pet, car, interest etc. I need to reference to win something I want to win.

Why do you want to win?

Everyone deserves a win.
  • booklover500booklover500 Forumite
    791 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I am a devoted auntie with no children of my own so my nephew is frequently used by me for comps although usually, but not always, to win things for him!
  • hamsterfan1hamsterfan1 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I occasionally put my grandchildren as my children (only if my dob has not been requested) I don't think tit cheating as such because they are directly related to me . My grandson call his mum mum and I'm mum mum mum mum
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides