Consumer Law Barristers???

Options

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are currently with a debt management company - this is a BIG mistake as they are taking part of your payment as their fee for managing your debt(s).

Ditch them fast and go with one of the free ones such as Stepchange who do NOT charge a fee and ALL of your payment will go to your creditor(s) and you will be debt free quicker.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,905 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    On further investigation it appears this company try to find out if your credit agreements are enforceable or not, for a fixed monthly fee of £120.

You do not need this service, they cannot guarantee you anything, and you can find out most of this information yourself, all you have to do is put in a CCA request under sec 77/79 consumer credit act.

You are entitled to this information for £1 statutory fee per agreement.

Do not be fooled into thinking this company can work miracles for you, they cannot, they are just out to make a buck.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    CLB's website is cringe-worthy.

OP - do you have a bargepole handy? ;)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    For a barrister, he doesn't seem to have much of a grip on things, e.g.

Will I have to go to court ?
    You will not have to go to court.

Surely the answer is 'yes, I can advise that an account is unenforceable but ultimately only a court can decide this and there may well be a hearing'

Will my credit rating be affected ?
    Your credit rating should not be affected. If an organisation makes an unfair or misleading report about you to a credit reference agency you should tell me and I will stop them.

surely the answer is 'yes. Even though an account may be unenforceable, a creditor can continue to report non-payment and defaults; the latter will stay on your file for six years, affecting your ability to obtain credit. However, there is no such thing as a universal credit rating- each lender will make decisions based on their own criteria.

OP - I think you should run this company past the Financial Conduct Authority. They don't appear to be FCA registered and, although they may feel they don't need to be, I am not sure the FCA would share that view.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    CLB have another website - CLBclaims - which 'helps' people recover PPI money.

An extract:
    I have established Consumer Law Barristers to help you fight back against the financial organisations which have acted unfairly in making excessive profits at your expense.
    I find the bit in bold somewhat ironic...
  • Taliapoppy
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to use them, ok, the initial guy is a bit salesy but I like the process itself and see him as the admin person carrying it out. The new and small company is owned and overseen by David Uff, ie the buck stops with him, a senior barrister at a VERY good chambers, my daughter informs me and she's just qualified as a barrister. I'm ok with doing it as I can stop at any point. I also don't think it will take 12 months so it will be cheaper. Too long to go into here...but it's a different process to 'managing your debts' like stepchange, who I've been with for ten years, and who are funded by the creditors. This means they put the creditors interests first, rather than mine. That said over the years they've been mostly marvellous and literally saved my life as the oppression from the creditors has made me suicidal. But I need to move on from victimhood, from masochism and feeling hunted and full of shame and fear, by preditory creditors. Before people criticise this post I just want to say you won't know all the facts about my case, so judgements won't be based on facts.
  • Pollycat
    edited 13 July 2018 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Taliapoppy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to use them, ok, the initial guy is a bit salesy but I like the process itself and see him as the admin person carrying it out. The new and small company is owned and overseen by David Uff, ie the buck stops with him, a senior barrister at a VERY good chambers, my daughter informs me and she's just qualified as a barrister. I'm ok with doing it as I can stop at any point. I also don't think it will take 12 months so it will be cheaper. Too long to go into here...but it's a different process to 'managing your debts' like stepchange, who I've been with for ten years, and who are funded by the creditors. This means they put the creditors interests first, rather than mine. That said over the years they've been mostly marvellous and literally saved my life as the oppression from the creditors has made me suicidal. But I need to move on from victimhood, from masochism and feeling hunted and full of shame and fear, by preditory creditors. Before people criticise this post I just want to say you won't know all the facts about my case, so judgements won't be based on facts.

Your money.
    Your choice.

Re the bit in bold:
    Is this actually true?
    I've never been in debt so have no first-hand experience but Stepchange are recommended on the MSE Debtfree wannabe board.
  • sourcrates
    edited 13 July 2018 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to use them, ok, the initial guy is a bit salesy but I like the process itself and see him as the admin person carrying it out.

This is terrible advice to give to anyone, it is a con, do not do it.

The process, as i explained above, can be carried out by anyone, for the price of a stamp, and a £1 statutory fee.

THIS IS NOT A FORM OF DEBT MANAGEMENT, THIS IS A COMPANY, CHARGING YOU £120, A MONTH, YES, PER MONTH !!!!

FOR SENDING A SECTION 77/79 REQUEST FOR INFORMATION, FOR A COPY OF YOUR CREDIT AGREEMENT, TO YOUR CREDITORS, IN THE HOPE THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE IT, AND THUS RENDER THE ACCOUNT UNENFORCEABLE.

You are already entitled to this information under the above sections of the consumer credit act, for the fee of £1 (one pound), it is your statutory right.

All you do is click this link, fill in the letter, enclose your £1 fee, and post to each of your creditors :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx

This company is trying to sell you something you are already entitled too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Re the bit in bold:
    Is this actually true?
    I've never been in debt so have no first-hand experience but Stepchange are recommended on the MSE Debtfree wannabe board.

Yes step-change are financed by the creditors.

That is why they are always eager to get you into a debt solution as quickly as possible, for some, thats ok, for others, it can be too quick, with no time to save an emergency fund.

That is where the advice on this forum comes in, because we tell it like it really is, most people do not have a clue about debt, debt solutions, there rights, or anything.

There are no get out of debt quick schemes, only the solutions laid down in statute by parliament, there are things you can do yourself to ease the process, thats where these shyster DMC`s come into play, trying to flog you things you are already entitled to for free.

Its mainly an unregulated market place you see, lots of sharks swimming in the water, if people are sensible and practical, and take the initiative, debt is relatively easy to deal with, all you have to do is get the right advice, pick the right solution, and act on it, nothing could be simpler really, there is just a lack of awareness about debt issues and remedies, and the general feeling of it been over whelming, it does not need to be that way with the right help.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

And you've joined just to tell us this. Reconstituted pork product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure