🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Government plans 'deposit' scheme to...

Options

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    The public transport argument makes no sense, just like the car argument. You had to bring the bottles, with the liquid in them, home (by public transport or car) in the first place, so how difficult is it to bring them back?

Re Public transport.
    Consider one spends a day in an area doing various things other than shopping. Before getting on the bus home one buys groceries including bottles. On ones next visit, to return the bottles one has either to carry the empty bottles around all day or visit the supermarket twice - once to return bottles and again to buy the next lot of shopping.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    Re Public transport.
    Consider one spends a day in an area doing various things other than shopping. Before getting on the bus home one buys groceries including bottles. On ones next visit, to return the bottles one has either to carry the empty bottles around all day or visit the supermarket twice - once to return bottles and again to buy the next lot of shopping.
    Precisely. Though in my case it would be on foot rather than public transport.
    Stompa
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It works in other countries, no reason why it can't work here as well.

There was plenty of doom and gloom before the plastic bag charge, very little of which was borne out.
  • FredaJones
    FredaJones Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    If people are too lazy to take a couple of empty bottles with them when they go shopping, they can!!!8217;t really moan if they are choosing laziness, if these people cannot carry a few empty bottles in a bag, how on earth do they get the full bottles home in the first place?

Any empty bottle we have is put in a bag, it goes with us to the supermarket, the bottles are put in the bank, we then use the token when we buy our shopping. If people are too lazy to do that we really have no hope.

But I already have a perfectly good recycling bin in my front garden, that I already pay for via my council tax. Why should I be forced to abandon that and have to take bottles back to the supermarket instead?

Currently there are few public bins in the streets and certainly no recycling bins so surely that is where efforts need to be targeted, not on people who already recycle.
  • FredaJones
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    As for the plastic in the seas and oceans, how on earth does it get there.
    Does every ship dump stuff overboard whenever.

I agree - whether bottles are recycled or not, how on earth do they end up in the sea in the quantities we keep being shown by the BBC?
  • FredaJones
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    The public transport argument makes no sense, just like the car argument. You had to bring the bottles, with the liquid in them, home (by public transport or car) in the first place, so how difficult is it to bring them back?

Much more trouble than just putting them in the recycling bin in my front garden.
  • FredaJones
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I'd take it one step further - add an extra incentive for people who can be bothered to walk a mile in order to recycle their plastic. I can't see how it would be implemented, but it would certainly go some way to either reducing plastic usage or getting the nation active.

For what is a mile, but 2,000 steps?

And therefore discriminating against the disabled and elderly.
  • FredaJones
    Options
    gingerdad wrote: »
    we've used these in Sweden and they are brilliant - get a voucher for money off your shop or you can donate it straight to Charity.

We are so behind the curve on this its untrue

But you are only getting a refund of your own money.

How about we have stick to the current curve where we keep our money in our pocket and just put the bottles in our recycle bins for a curbside collection and put the effort into providing extra bins together with some education and see how that goes first?
  • FredaJones
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm sure most people will simply put the bottle in their home recycling bin and forgo the credit.

13 billion bottles at 10p deposit on each = £1.3 billion.
  • Kered
    Kered Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would say this is not aimed at the people who already recycle but at those that don't, anyone that lives near (or passes by) a school, shopping centre or playing grounds will know exactly what I mean.

It is aimed at those that throw the bottle/can away without thinking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport