MSE News: Government plans 'deposit' scheme to...

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    One answer for milk are the long life cartons, cheaper too. 49p per litre in Lidl and Tesco.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 March 2018 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    One answer for milk are the long life cartons, cheaper too. 49p per litre in Lidl and Tesco.

Not cheaper and milk cartons are not recyclable in all areas.

Milk in 4-pint (2.27 litres) plastic canisters typically £1.09* equivalent to 48p per litre.

* 99p at Iceland.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    of course some people will always find an excuse/reason NOT to recycle no matter what :(

if the deposit/reward is not enough for you then just leave the bottles out on the street like you normally do and people like me will collect them and get YOUR deposit back :D
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hasn't anyone bought up the fact for people who use public transport? I have local recycling bins though its annoying I have to walk 8 minutes just to chuck recycling in its better than further,

I do have a bus pass but I don't want to go all the way to town to get a refund, a corner shop maybe but they might have a issue

And on top of that either bring multiple empty bottles to a shop to make it worth my while or a single empty bottle, sounds stupid.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Back in the 80s in Germany plastic bottles had a deposit on them and I remember getting UK products that usually came in plastic in glass containers because there was no recycling system set up for them. Also at the same time in Canada there was 5c on a drinks can.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alikay wrote: »
    Would be nice if they could find a way of making it cost-effective to have milkman deliveries in glass bottles again.
    My milkman will deliver milk in plastic bottles, for the same price as glass bottles.
    The big difference in price is down, I would hope, to the local farmers, dairies and milkmen getting a better income than the supermarkets offer.
    pjran wrote: »
    So basically I would have to drive to a store to recycle rather than using our council home collection glass recycling service therefore wasting fuel.

No, I'm sure there'll be other options, such as putting them in your recycling bin. You just won't get the deposit back.

I'm curious where all these people who consider it too much effort to return the bottles get them from in the first place.

As Wizard of Id has pointed out. No need to return them, just leave them somewhere convenient and there will probably be a new wave of 'wombles' happy to clean up for you.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    of course some people will always find an excuse/reason NOT to recycle no matter what :(

if the deposit/reward is not enough for you then just leave the bottles out on the street like you normally do and people like me will collect them and get YOUR deposit back :D
    People are not finding excuses not to recycle.

People are making the (very valid) point that they will be charged (obviously nominally) extra for say a bottle of water and won't get that 'deposit' back unless they take the bottle back to the shop they purchased it in.
    Unless those people visit that shop on a regular basis and want to have a second store of goods for recycling at their home (i.e. in addition to their burgundy bin where all their other household recycling goes) and it's convenient for them to carry empty bottles back to the shop, then they will lose their deposit.

It's a valid argument.
    I'm sure most people will simply put the bottle in their home recycling bin and forgo the credit.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If people are too lazy to take a couple of empty bottles with them when they go shopping, they can!!!8217;t really moan if they are choosing laziness, if these people cannot carry a few empty bottles in a bag, how on earth do they get the full bottles home in the first place?

Any empty bottle we have is put in a bag, it goes with us to the supermarket, the bottles are put in the bank, we then use the token when we buy our shopping. If people are too lazy to do that we really have no hope.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got the equivalent of £1.80 off my shop yesterday for dropping my bottles off at the start of the shop. I had three soya milk bottles, two oat milk bottles, two cordial bottles and five fizzy water bottles. All flattened before the lids were put on so they all fitted into a standard size shopping bag and weighed less than the smallest bottle would when full.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    If people are too lazy to take a couple of empty bottles with them when they go shopping, they can!!!8217;t really moan if they are choosing laziness, if these people cannot carry a few empty bottles in a bag, how on earth do they get the full bottles home in the first place?

Any empty bottle we have is put in a bag, it goes with us to the supermarket, the bottles are put in the bank, we then use the token when we buy our shopping. If people are too lazy to do that we really have no hope.
    It's not the 'carrying a few empty bottles in a bag'.
    It's the storing of the 'few empty bottles' until you go back to that same shop next time.
    It's the remembering to take those 'few empty bottles' with you next time you know you'll be passing the particular shop you bought them from.

You may not mind having bags of empty bottles in various bags ready to take back to various shops kicking around your house but some people may mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure