I want to believe I can do this!

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news on the PPI! well done. Perhaps you can allow yoursrlf a nice day out without feeling too guilty now.
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ramblehan wrote: »
    Great news on the PPI! well done. Perhaps you can allow yoursrlf a nice day out without feeling too guilty now.

Thank you-I feel pretty fortunate.

Husband is not well so I expect we will not be going to London. I am planning a no spend Bank Holiday weekend!

I see a couple of my friends have posted

on Facebook that they are looking for sponsorship for things they are doing to raise money for charity. Ordinarily I donate as soon as I see these. I can use the money from the PPI this month but I do not know where I would find the money on other months. What do you do?
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • pidge04
    Options
    My blooming good fortune continues!!

I had a letter from my work today delivered to home.

I thought oh no, it is a redundancy letter or something!

A pay rise of £1250 a year!!!

Totally unexpected!

I am feeling a bit giddy today and hopeful about clearing this debt one day.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fantastic news! :T:T:j:j:beer::beer:

Have you put the Lottery on today... if not I think it might be worth a try! :D
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • pidge04
    Options
    Ha ha!

I thought exactly the same thing!!

I am terrified of being frivolous with a £1 and wasting it (If that is how much a lottery ticket still costs) but perhaps I should!
  • pidge04
    Options
    Made some unnecessary spends this weekend. Feels rubbish. But not hopeless.
    I am definitely going to list some things to sell tomorrow WITHOUT FAIL. Proceeds will not be going towards my debt but to my current account.

Weekends and holidays tend to be quite challenging as my husband and I are forced into spending more time together. There are rarely any arguments but there is loneliness and distance.

As I sort my financial life out, it becomes glaringly apparent that I need to sort out other areas of my life too.
  • pidge04
    Options
    I have something on Facebook for £8 today.
    I!!!8217;ve got 4 items listed on eBay.
    One of my biggest regrets is that I have never had a 5 year plan. I would not be getting myself out of this mess if I had had a 5 year plan.
    My five year plan is to
    1. Not have any loans
    2. not have any credit card debt
    3. No overdrafts
    4. Have savings!!!
    5. Have very few possessions.
  • pidge04
    Options
    I have been on an eBay roll and I have listed quite a few bits.

I feel like I want to clear myself of my possessions.
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Well done on PPI and pay rise :D xxx
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good news on the PPI payment and pay rise.

A few comments. Saying yes to things you cannot afford probably contributed to your current debt so don't be afraid to say no you cannot afford it to husband or people requesting sponsorship. There will always be calls on your money but once the debt is repaid and you are in a better situation that is your call.

Don't consolidate. It makes things worse and if your credit history is not good and you are over committed you won't get a good rate anyway. Targeting the Barclaycard and overdrafts should be your priority as I am sure that £9 per month barely covers charges. At some point when the debt is lower apply for a money transfer cards, pay them off then cancel the overdrafts.

Tell your husband you cannot spend weekends or maybe go out one weekend each month and do free things. Car boot sale to sell stuff maybe or spend time in the garden, local park or just go for a walk locally taking your own picnic from home.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure