Plastic Tiled Roof to Existing Conservatory

Hi forum,

Recently had a salesman come round from a certain company who has given quotes for a new tiled plastic roof for our conservatory, insulated, boarded and plastered internally and fitted with spotlights.

He quoted this for a rebuilt roof on as £11K
He then quoted a boarding over and around as £8K

Both have spotlights (there is an existing light in our conservatory).

I was expecting it to be expensive, but I was expecting about £6-7K, when he said £11K I almost fell of my chair. His answer is its a quality build, apparently, but I kind of expected him to say that (he's unlikely to say it's poor!).

Its a fair size conservatory (15" x 10") no complex curves.

How does this sound? Can anyone offer advice on what to expect?

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    It is a 100% rip off, pure con, unregulated market. So you will pay any sum you care to imagine. All the work is outright bodging so how can anyone put a price on this?

You might just as well wet your middle finger, put your hand in a breeze and say it feels like "that much".

You say "both have spotlights" which leaves me at a loss for words. That is about as relevant as saying both roofs will receive some sort of support.

Work out your budget, survey your conservatory, establish how it is constructed, establish the age, establish where reinforcement is present, establish how it is tied together, establish your future lost levels of light both inside the conservatory and inside your home, to name some points.

Do not invite a salesman around to give you drivel about spotlights because with this way of doing business it is a certainty you will be taken for a ride.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This roof does not make it an extension.

How long do you expect the rest of the conservatory to last to protect that investment?

It's such a fad right now. It is unregulated, it does not meet building regulations but they get away with it because conservatories are classed as outbuildings, not extensions.

I'd rather save up and have a proper room that adds proper value to the house rather than throw good money at improving something like a conservatory which is ultimately a temporary structure.

It's insane because a proper roof on a proper extension wouldn't cost anywhere close to that.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    You have been offered a replacement roof at £11K or board over your current one for £8K. A family member said this is all a con, and of course it is - everybody knows that. So their existing conservatory got demolished - not a nice, cheap job because it was asbestos panels. This was replaced with a proper conservatory with proper foundations, (hand dug and no skip access!), proper insulated walls, proper insulated floor, electrics. decorating, patio, lansdscaping .. you get the idea. The conservatory was about the same size as yours.

The finished job looks good - for an ordinary, every day conservatory that is. Now for the reality check. All this work came to £2K less than your replacement roof.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why are you getting this done? To insulate the conservatory and make it more of a year round room?

If so, then why not just DIY (or get a joiner) to do a wooden framework ceiling inside, with 50mm rigid board insulation and clad with white pvc panels? This is what I've done. It has cost £500. All in. And the conservatory is the main playroom for the kids and they are in it every day of the year.
  • MrBrindle
    MrBrindle Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Why are you getting this done? To insulate the conservatory and make it more of a year round room?

If so, then why not just DIY (or get a joiner) to do a wooden framework ceiling inside, with 50mm rigid board insulation and clad with white pvc panels? This is what I've done. It has cost £500. All in. And the conservatory is the main playroom for the kids and they are in it every day of the year.

Out of interest, do you have a picture of what that looks like? We have a conservatory but looking to make it more usable all year round. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure