How late can I leave it to the airport?

Options
DollyTheSheep
DollyTheSheep Posts: 115 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Been a good few years since I have been on a city break and flown on a budget UK airline.

Looking to go to a European city break this Summer, with hand baggage only. I see they are all online check-ins pretty much now.

Do I just check in at home the night before, print off my boarding card and go straight to security when I get to the airport? If that security process only takes 20 mins say, can I hypothetically get to the airport 30 mins before my flight leaves?

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, leaving it till half an hour before your flight is too late, the gate closes 15-20 mins before departure, you need to be through security and on your way to the gate around half an hour before departure.

The latest time I've seen is 45 mins at London City, but that's a tiny airport, for larger airports with hand luggage only a min of 1hr - 1 hr 15.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    What time does the gate close for your flight?
    For example, Ryanair closes 20 minutes before flight time and say you should be at the gate "at least 30 minutes before your flight departure time".

You don't say where you're flying from and when but getting though Security can take a long time, especially if it's during the school holidays.

If you want to rock up at the airport 30 minutes before your flight departure time, you can kiss goodbye to your city break.
    Why would you want to cut it that fine?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose it depends on which airport and time of flight. I would plan about 90 mins before take off. If HBO I have arrived up to an hour before but that is usually a late Ryanair flight out of Man.

Why risk the chance of missing by being there so late?
  • ruffwood
    ruffwood Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just flew with easyJet and they were specific that gate closed 30 mins before flight. As others have stated getting through security is not that easy to predict but to be on safe side I would give it 45 mins. You then need to obviously arrive at airport, if you park a car up finding a space and transferring takes time. I would aim for 90 mins arrival before flight. If everything goes smoothly then you might have 30 mins wait time. Take advantage to go to Bathroom, saving queuing on the flight and perhaps pick up some sustenance. Its preferable to missing your flight
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Do I just check in at home the night before, print off my boarding card and go straight to security when I get to the airport? If that security process only takes 20 mins say, can I hypothetically get to the airport 30 mins before my flight leaves?
    The only way to know how long it takes getting through security is to try it on the day.
    The airport websites may state X minutes but this is just an average and it could well be far faster or far slower.
    All it takes is for one of the x-ray scanners to break down or a couple of staff shortages and the waiting time could increase massively.

Get there in plenty of time, go through security then sit down and have a tea/coffee/beer etc before your flight.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Give it two hours minimum.

And be prepared at security.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only way to know how long it takes getting through security is to try it on the day.
    The airport websites may state X minutes but this is just an average and it could well be far faster or far slower.
    All it takes is for one of the x-ray scanners to break down or a couple of staff shortages and the waiting time could increase massively.

Get there in plenty of time, go through security then sit down and have a tea/coffee/beer etc before your flight.

I agree with this. I went through Stansted earlier this year, absolute shambles took me 25 minutes to get through security and out the other side. Yet Gatwick 2 weeks ago I was through in about 3 minutes. Although I always find Gatwick a breeze I certainly wouldn't make the mistake of thinking there might be an issue one day that could seriously delay me.

My last trip I arrived at the airport embarrassingly early as traffic reports showed real issues on the M25 and M23 but in reality I had no real issues, got to the airport about 3 hours before my flight- but at least I had a pleasant meal and a drink and wasn't sitting on the motorway panicking.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in the "get there as soon as possible" school of thinking. I don't understand those who deliberately plan on arriving at the last possible minute. I'd rather be having a drink in the airport bar than getting stressed while stuck in traffic or waiting for late public transport to turn up.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As others have said... would you rather spend the time before your flight relaxed sat in the airport with a beer/coffee/wine/coke; or would you rather spend it rushing around stressed out that you might miss the flight? Not the best way to start a weekend break.

If you leave it 30mins, or even an hour, it will take very little to go wrong before you miss your flight and weekend break.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Been a good few years since I have been on a city break and flown on a budget UK airline.

Looking to go to a European city break this Summer, with hand baggage only. I see they are all online check-ins pretty much now.

It obviously is a good few years since you have been to an airport. Two hours ahead is the minimum IMHO and following a trip to Manchester airport in the last couple of weeks, three hours. Bag drop a breeze but security chaotic plus the huge amount of building work at the airport which means traffic a nightmare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure