Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sophiemou wrote: »
    I sent a secure message to the gentleman informing him that I did not consider this a full and complete SAR
    They are legally required to send you everything they have kept on file for you.

How can you request "notes" that no longer exist (if they ever did)?

Do you have evidence that they are still stored? If so, you should contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and make an official complaint.

"Notes" won't show that you had PPI, of course, and it's difficult to see where you are going with these actions.
    This was sent to them on 15 May, opened by him on 16 May and I've heard nothing since.
    They have forty (working) days in which to respond.
  • Sophiemou
    Options
    Would that include the original application, change of name and each change of address. I’ve lived in various countries since 1996. When you say they are legally required to send me everything would that include computer printouts? Apologies for all the questions but I’m going by what I received from Barclaycard which didn’t show PPI but they agreed they had overcharged me on charges. This is why I’m confused with Nat West and the very small amount of paperwork sent to me via email.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very few companies are sending computer print outs. Most data is stored electronically.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would that include the original application, change of name and each change of address. I’ve lived in various countries since 1996. When you say they are legally required to send me everything would that include computer printouts? Apologies for all the questions but I’m going by what I received from Barclaycard which didn’t show PPI but they agreed they had overcharged me on charges. This is why I’m confused with Nat West and the very small amount of paperwork sent to me via email.

Everything they have on record, if the original is no longer there they can send reconstituted versions of application forms.

You have to remember SAR are not some sort of stick to force companies to dig every single dirty cupboard on the off chance they find stuff, they have to make a reasonable attempt to find all the information based on the data they have. If you believe they have not sent it all they are allowed to ask you to explain what you believe is missing, when it's from, who did it etc (see chapter 6 of the ICO guidelines). Similarly if the information is deleted they do not have to go through extensive data retrieval to get it back nor do they need to spend time and effort reconstituting it if deleted. If the information is archived away on microfiche for example if it's not stored in a relevant way (e.g. stored by account number only and you don't have that) and you don't provide the context to find it, they don't need to keep searching.

Read the below

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/2014223/subject-access-code-of-practice.pdf
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm going by what I received from Barclaycard which didn't show PPI but they agreed they had overcharged me on charges. This is why I'm confused with Nat West and the very small amount of paperwork sent to me via email.
    These are two different financial institutions.

They each hold (or not) totally differing information on your finances over the years.

Just because one provided information relevant to a possible complaint, it doesn't automatically mean another will do the same.

As it is, you have no evidence that "notes" have been withheld for some reason, but you are requesting them anyway?

The fact is that they only have to provide information that a reasonably competent temporary worker will be able to locate.

They don't have to somehow magic up information that has been deleted or was never kept in the first place!

Realise that all the financial institutions are different in this regard.

The only regulatory guidance is that information should be kept for as long as it is deemed "necessary", which for most means around six years after accounts are closed or loans etc run to term.

I fully expect the response you get from your assertion that the SAR you received was not "full and complete" will be to state that you have already received everything they have on file for you.

Provide your own evidence that otherwise is the case and the ICO might take notice of any complaint you might make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure