offer without prejudice/liability is an issue

Options
I have been informed today that the third party insurer of a car that hit me is going to make a payment without prejudice for my written off scooter.

The email that I was forwarded by my insurer also has the third party stating "liability is an issue". What does this actually mean in the bigger scheme of things? I am a little confused.

On a positive note, CCTV has come to light which shows the accident so I no longer have to worry about trying to prove the course of events. I was tempted to post it and let you all give your opinions on liability, but I do not want to breach any data rules etc.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe a misprint (the word "not" missed out prior to "an issue"??)

But ask your insurer to clarify what it means.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I didn't even consider that, thanks Quentin. I will try and clarify that on Monday.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Quentin has said, speak to your Insurer but without prejudice is often used where an Insurer is finding their customer is not cooperating with themeg not reporting the accident but the Insurer suspects they are at fault.

It means that should they find further information that makes them believe their customer was not at fault they may not agree to pay for other heads of your claim eg injury or excess etc
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Just updating that I received a payment from the third parties insurer. Not far off what I would value my scooter at but I have gone back and asked for £200 more to bring it in line with what it would actually cost me to replace.

Either way it is nice to have it all sorted and to be able to order myself a new bike! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure