Settlements - how much should I ask for?

Options
FYI - I have already engaged a solicitor however I would like to have some reassurance around what I should be asking for based on other people’s knowledge or experience.

I was a reasonably senior employee in an organisation until the past few weeks. I had experienced treatment that I felt was discriminatory and I raised a grievance with my employer. I was subsequently dismissed.

I have since enlisted the help of a solicitor but I wanted to get some advice on what I should be asking? I’m in a new role now however I have had to take a significant paydrop. The solicitor has suggested we should be asking for around 3-4 months salary. But can anyone give me an indication of what they’ve settled or have seen settled for in other cases?

Any help is really appreciated

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was a reasonably senior employee in an organisation until the past few weeks. I had experienced treatment that I felt was discriminatory and I raised a grievance with my employer. I was subsequently dismissed.

You've been dismissed, where's the settlement coming from?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • bonnielass18
    Options
    To settle the matter and stop me taking it to court
  • bonnielass18
    Options
    153 views and no one has any input?
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

It would be a bit reckless without knowing any of the details at all. You can't be both cryptic, and in receipt of good quality advice. At the moment "£20k" is as accurate a response as "a mouse mat and your old coffee mug".
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I can't answer the question directly but would urge caution about the figure demanded / requested. In this instance, in the absence of detail, 3 to 4 months salary doesn't seem excessive. My reason for urging caution is from a friend's experience after being injured in the workplace - different to the OP's situation but still relevant. An offer was made which my friend felt was acceptable, but the solicitor told them they should be able to get much more and my friend went along with the solicitor's advice. Cut a long story short, it then dragged on literally for years, about 8 in total, before a settlement was reached. It was higher than the original offer but the stress for my friend made the whole situation 10 times worse, and certainly not worth the trouble.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You aren't getting many responses because you've provided very little information to go on...

For a start, it would be useful to know the grounds on which you were dismissed - and whether appropriate procedures were followed. Presumably you were there for more than 2 years?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it were me I'd be going for at least a years earnings for every year I've worked there, and then double that amount for hurt feelings

Won't get it mind but hey, might as well chance me arm :)

No one can offer you advice as no one knows the back story
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    The settlements that my friends have accepted have ranged from £10,009 to £4,000,000 after being let go.

I’d shoot for the higher number if I were you.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any advice from John K should be taken with a bag of salt- he’s a fantasist
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends on what you would actually claim for, what your salary was, how much notice you were owed and whether or not it was paid, how long you worked there...

How much would you realistically get if you went to tribunal and won?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure