Income Changes Post IPA/BR

Options

Comments

• LaLaLa34
    LaLaLa34 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I’m guessing the OR looks at is as the bankrupt could lose his job at any point and there would be potentially months of missed payments, or an accident which could see someone off really long term. The bankrupt could even reduce his hours or have a child meaning his expenses go through the roof. Makes sense from the OR’s POV to secure the money early doors.
  • Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey guys. It definitely released me from declaring any increases - i double checked and checked again.

What i did was send an Email, saying is it at all possible my mother could pay off my IPA for me. They said it was possible aslong as the money 100% came from my mother.

The actual words that my OR gave me after my mother had paid it off were 'when you are discharged at the end of December, you will be free of all of your bankruptcy obligations'.
  • Jono987
    Options
    This was the email:

''Do not worry, the Clarke Willmott letter is the final confirmation your IPA has been concluded, we do not issue any further correspondence regarding your IPA. Once you been officially discharged next month then all matters will have been concluded and you are free from your bankruptcy obligations.''

Would this email be sufficient proof if for some reason a year down the line they tried to come at me for all the extra money i had earned? Im not very legal savvy but i assumed at the time this email would cover me? Thanks!
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    LaLaLa34 wrote: »
    I’m guessing the OR looks at is as the bankrupt could lose his job at any point and there would be potentially months of missed payments, or an accident which could see someone off really long term. The bankrupt could even reduce his hours or have a child meaning his expenses go through the roof. Makes sense from the OR’s POV to secure the money early doors.

True, but the bankruptcy rules are very strict and I can't find any information about 'deals' like this being an option. I don't think the OR has the freedom to just accept the whole lot at the beginning and give up the rights to the remaining 2 years, otherwise wouldn't everyone with generous family/friends be doing this? Imagine all the £100/200 a month IPAs which could be cleared for less than 10 grand, freeing bankrupts to accept very well paid jobs.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jono987 wrote: »
    This was the email:

''Do not worry, the Clarke Willmott letter is the final confirmation your IPA has been concluded, we do not issue any further correspondence regarding your IPA. Once you been officially discharged next month then all matters will have been concluded and you are free from your bankruptcy obligations.''

Would this email be sufficient proof if for some reason a year down the line they tried to come at me for all the extra money i had earned? Im not very legal savvy but i assumed at the time this email would cover me? Thanks!
    Again, Interesting, thanks for posting further.
    Their response is obviously in answer to a question that you posed - can we see that question (minus any personal stuff of course)? That would assist in deciding how much you can rely on your email response.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Jono987 wrote: »
    This was the email:

Very curious indeed. This email seems to suggest exactly what you are saying. I was going to say.. maybe they were being shifty by saying "bankruptcy obligations" as opposed to "IPA obligations" but I think it's reasonable to treat those as one and the same.

You could look more into it, although personally I'd take this letter as job done, go off and earn some money!
  • Jono987
    edited 26 March 2018 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Hi, that email was in reply to me sending this:

''I am good thank you, looking forward to some time off next week for the first time in 6 months!

I meant more a confirmation that i will be released from my IPA obligations and do not need to report any income / outgoing changes. I received confirmation that the IPA has been settled from Clarke Wilmot but it doesnt categorically say that my IPA cannot be re-instated.

Thank you''

Also here is another email i sent before this:

''Thanks, so just to confirm, after Im discharged and my parents have paid my IPA in full, i will be able to look at increasing my income without notifying yourselves?
    My parents will be making the payment later this week when they have retrieved some of their funds from their savings accounts.

Thank you for your assistance i really appreciate it''

This was the reply:

''Yes, that is correct.''

Seems pretty solid to me?
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Yes,
    I certainly wouldn't be contacting anyone for 'further confirmation'!

DD
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Jono987
    Options
    I deliberately asked the question about earning more money as straight to the point as i could and i asked it more than once.

Definitely not going to contact them at all every again haha, but do you think if something happened those emails would stand up as evidence? It would be awful for me if i saved a deposit with my girlfriend and they took it all :(
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Seems good to me,

Make sure you back up those emails, and print them off and keep them safe.

DD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure