New Post Advanced Search

Im not able to get cheap car insurance!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
9 replies 1.3K views
edzusbalodisedzusbalodis Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hi.

Can someone advice how to get nice insurance prices?
Well the story:
Policy holder my wife holding licence already 19 years
Me : 8 years.

Car small cheap : Renault megane 1.5 Diesel Manual
Searching over days compare sites cheapest quote i got so far is : 1230 £
I just dont get it. :(

Replies

• worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it rough where you live?
    Have you made claims in the past?
  • Its in uk . We never made claims before have 2 y no claims atm.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    31.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its in uk .

Can you narrow it down a bit? Not all of the UK is rough.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    how come only 2 year no claims discount?? why not 8 years?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP
  • Because not all of driving years we been in UK and outside UK no claims they are not counting .

ZX:
    District
    Thanet
    Shire county
    Kent
    Region
    South East
  • nyermennyermen Forumite
    639 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Something doesn't sound right. From your driving history, I'm assuming you're both over 25.
    A Renault Megane Hatchback (2008 - 2016, I'm assuming not brand new) 1.5dci 86bhp is insurance group 12 out of 50, so pretty low. £30 tax means its very frugal too.

The normal factors that affect insurance off my head (on top of lots of other things) are:
    1) Gender, age, time a license has been held;
    2) Incident history including the question "have you ever had insurance cancelled" (make sure you answer this correctly, it's not asking if you've ever cancelled insurance);
    3) Named driver profiles - jobs, address kept overnight, is it for business or just Social, domestic and commuting;
    4) Have you driven the car before (prior experience with the model) can sometimes be a factor. Admiral ask this for example.

It might be worth reading up on these factors, remember what you put in your insurance application, and check you didn't accidentally answer the wrong thing.

Also, I trust you've tried a few insurers or used a comparison site, some always give a high number (quotes I get normally vary by 300%+ from smallest to largest).
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • kelevrazkelevraz Forumite
    192 posts
    Because not all of driving years we been in UK and outside UK no claims they are not counting .

ZX:
    District
    Thanet
    Shire county
    Kent
    Region
    South East

Do you have a UK driving license?

Also, If you have been driving for 19 years, and have spent different periods of time outside the country, they will normally take your most recent length of time in the country as your driving experience in the UK.

So if you have been driving for 19 years, and you first drove for 10 years in the UK, then spent 7 years abroad, then you've been back in the UK for 2 years, they wont look at the fact you had 10 years of driving here before, they'll take you as someone whos been driving here for 2 years
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Add Mileage to Nyermen's list
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Add job to the list - some occupations are really highly rated.

Also whether you're insuring it for social/commuting only, or for travelling on business too - that makes a difference with some insurers.