🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hargreaves Landsdown Question

Options

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I could live with a £25 closure fee.
    Fidelity charge 0.25% for holding cash in a SIPP, which works out at a tidy sum when u consider they are doing naff all.
    I'm unsure if this is correct.

The OH has been with Fidelity SIPP for 6 weeks (transferred from HL), and the account hasn't been deducted any charges as yet. The account is currently sat 100% in cash and we have received an interest payment so, I would think (although needs confirming) that if they have processed the 'What should we pay the account' they may have also processed the 'What does the account owe us'. I am assuming they process charges etc on a monthly basis (but haven't been with them long enough to confirm).

Their account charges page lists their charging structure based on "Total value of investments". I'm sure you could argue either way and that cash falls under the category of being included or excluded from their charging structure.

Perhaps someone else who has been with Fidelity for a longer period may be able to confirm. I'll PM them but they may take a few days to respond.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • NorthernGeezer_2
    Options
    I spoke to Fidelity yesterday who informed me that if I leave my money as a cash fund it will be charged an annual management fee of 0.25%.
  • NorthernGeezer_2
    Options
    Correction....................."Administration Charge"
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The general feeling here seems to be dont invest for the short term (5 years),
    My pension pot is only £90k which will reduce immidiatley to 67.5K when i take my 25% tax free.
    I will then be withdrawing around £12.5k a year for 4 years till my state pension kicks in which will leave me around £17k in the pot.
    Not a lot to invest, i'm very risk averse and i cant see the pot increasing much over the 5 year period when i have to pay charges, hence my thought about using the HL facility like a bank.
    Like you, I am very risk averse. I am holding a six figure sum in cash in my HL SIPP right now. I plan to use this for UPFLS over the next five years until SP. Inflation is irrelevant to me over that period and I have locked in significant "profits" in terms of both investment growth and significant tax relief. I still have over 3 times this amount invested for the long term, but I feel more comfortable having gains over the last few years locked in as cash to spend as I decumulate. And to your original point, HL does allow this at no cost.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This is exactly what I'm planning to do with my SIPP. I plan to retire in 5 years time and I want to take as little risk with that pot as I can. In the meantime I am still contributing to a 70/30 equity/bond split ISA, and buying added pension.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • NorthernGeezer_2
    Options
    I'm of the same mind, not really bothered about inflation, more concerned about the potential losses and charges.
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Also, general advice is to have a cash buffer incase of downturn. There is no rule of thumb that says that cash buffer can't be in a pension.
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • MonroeM
    MonroeM Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    I'm unsure if this is correct.

The OH has been with Fidelity SIPP for 6 weeks (transferred from HL), and the account hasn't been deducted any charges as yet. The account is currently sat 100% in cash and we have received an interest payment so, I would think (although needs confirming) that if they have processed the 'What should we pay the account' they may have also processed the 'What does the account owe us'. I am assuming they process charges etc on a monthly basis (but haven't been with them long enough to confirm).

Their account charges page lists their charging structure based on "Total value of investments". I'm sure you could argue either way and that cash falls under the category of being included or excluded from their charging structure.

Perhaps someone else who has been with Fidelity for a longer period may be able to confirm. I'll PM them but they may take a few days to respond.

In their SIPP information leaflet it says it pays interest on cash holdings in a SIPP but it doesn't state that it levies an admin charge as far as I am aware. If so, it seems quite strange to pay you interest on the one hand and then levy an admin charge on the other.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    Going on what NorthernGeezer found out when speaking with them it appears they do. I have sent a secure message requesting clarification so, I'll update when they confirm.

• cloud_dog
    Options
    So, for anyone interested I can corroborate what NorthernGeezer has previously stated, that cash is treated as part of the 'whole' / investments. Extract from Fidelity response below:
    Our service fee is calculated using the total value of your investments including the cash component with Fidelity Personal Investing. The service fees is calculated on the total value of the portfolio and deducted from each account separately.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills