Any tips to stop condensation on windows?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• martinmck
    martinmck Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 November 2013 at 7:18PM
    Options
    I tried trickle vents, dehumidifiers etc and nothing stopped the condensation on the inside of the windows in my flat. I replaced the glass with high energy rating glass and this has solved the problem! I don't think many of the big companies use this type of glass so you may need to hunt about.
  • JustSteph
    Options
    Our bedroom window is the only one in the house that gets condensation. It is also the only room with a mould problem. It is always the coldest room in the house, even when the heating is on. It is also the only room with a vent in the wall, where I can feel a draft come through. It seems likely this is all related.

We have the trickle vents open all the time and don't dry clothes in there (we dry clothes in the spare room and that window is fine). We shower with the door closed and the shower is at the other end of the house anyway. I can't think of anything we're doing that's causing it. Is it likely to be problem with that specific window since no other windows in the house have this problem?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried blocking up the vent in the wall to see if it helps?
  • JustSteph
    Options
    I always thought blocking vents was a big no-no. I'll give it a try, thanks!
  • candyreloaded
    candyreloaded Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 21 December 2013 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Hi.
    Heres tip to stop condensation on your windows.
    Use fairy liquid spread some on your dry windows from inside by a cloth then dry with paper.it works on car screens too...hope that helps
  • JustSteph
    JustSteph Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2014 at 9:05PM
    Options
    JustSteph wrote: »
    Our bedroom window is the only one in the house that gets condensation. It is also the only room with a mould problem. It is always the coldest room in the house, even when the heating is on. It is also the only room with a vent in the wall, where I can feel a draft come through. It seems likely this is all related.

We have the trickle vents open all the time and don't dry clothes in there (we dry clothes in the spare room and that window is fine). We shower with the door closed and the shower is at the other end of the house anyway. I can't think of anything we're doing that's causing it. Is it likely to be problem with that specific window since no other windows in the house have this problem?

Have you tried blocking up the vent in the wall to see if it helps?

Blocking the vent didn't work unfortunately. It's actually got worse, but that could be because the weather is colder. Our home report said that we have cavity wall insulation, but I've heard of botch jobs on this before ie it's only there around the hole they drilled and doesn't do right to the edges/corners, so I'm wondering if this happened here as the mould growth is mostly in the corners. The walls in that bedroom are colder than any other external walls too. Could this indicate a bad insulation job?

Any other suggestions are welcome :)

Edit: I've also read somewhere that putting up a polystyrene veneer on the walls keeps the walls warm and prevents condensation on the walls. Has anyone does this? Is it worth doing?
  • Gregm
    Gregm Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    JustSteph wrote: »
    Edit: I've also read somewhere that putting up a polystyrene veneer on the walls keeps the walls warm and prevents condensation on the walls. Has anyone does this? Is it worth doing?

We have no cavity wall insulation, well we have no cavity. All of our rooms suffered badly with condensation on walls (especially behind furniture) and windows so a couple of years ago before decorating a bedroom we fixed battens to the wall, placed polystyrene sheet insulation between the battens and then plasterboarded over it before decorating. This made a heck of a difference in that room, we still get condensation on the window in the morning but the walls are as dry as a bone with no mould etc. We have repeated for two further rooms and as and when financies allow we will continue to do the remaining rooms.
  • Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    We live in a newly (less than 2 years) flat with Swedish triple glazed windows & patio doors and suffer horrendously with condensation.

We rarely dry clothes inside, use the extractor in the kitchen when cooking and have an automatic fan in the bathroom to extract the moisture. Every morning in winter we have to go and wipe all of the windows/sills/walls in the window frames, whether we have the windows ajar or not. All windows have trickle vents which are open. We rarely put the heating on as the property is so warm - so far we've had the heating on for 3 hours since the start of November. I love our property, but this moisture is driving me potty. :wall:

Any clues as to what I might be able to do to alleviate this issue?
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • ROY47
    ROY47 Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Buy a dehumidifier or open the windows more often

Your problem is the house is too well insulated

lack of ventilation .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business