MMD: Should I make my son pay for his mistake?

edited 20 March 2018 at 7:15PM in Marriage, relationships & families
41 replies 14.5K views
Former_MSE_NaomiFormer_MSE_Naomi Former MSE
519 Posts
Second Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My 19-year-old regularly borrows the family car, and contributes money to its running costs. He was recently in a small accident and badly dented the bumper. Our insurance will cover the repairs but my husband thinks we should make him pay upfront to teach him to take responsibility.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He pays towards running costs, presumably insurance is included, he's entitled to claim on that.
  • onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He should pay the insurnace excess and the difference between next year's premium and this year's (plus his share of the original cost since he's paying to running costs).

Actually, he should buy his own car.
    Home is where my books are.

Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    Mortgage neutral target Jun 2019, achieved Dec 2018.
  • GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    He pays towards running costs, presumably insurance is included, he's entitled to claim on that.

Seems fair as long as he agrees to also pay for the excess and the increase in the premium for subsequent years.

It might be cheaper just to pay for the repair up front.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    14.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Seems fair as long as he agrees to also pay for the excess and the increase in the premium for subsequent years.

It might be cheaper just to pay for the repair up front.

Excess sure, increased premium, no.

It's why we have insurance.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    35.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MSE_Naomi wrote: »
    My 19-year-old regularly borrows the family car, and contributes money to its running costs. He was recently in a small accident and badly dented the bumper. Our insurance would cover the repairs but my husband thinks we should make him pay upfront to teach him to take responsibility.

Was the damage the result of irresponsibility on your son's part?

If you had an accident, would your husband insist on the same terms so that you learned to take responsibility?
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He should pay the insurnace excess and the difference between next year's premium and this year's (plus his share of the original cost since he's paying to running costs).

Actually, he should buy his own car.

Insurance goes up annually claim or no claim, will be extra wirh claim, so needs to be worked out with claim added.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Ambassador
    44.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    He's 19 and a relatively new driver. You knew this risk when you agreed to lend him the car.

Be very grateful he wasn't injured.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, in my home and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    Was the damage the result of irresponsibility on your son's part?

If you had an accident, would your husband insist on the same terms so that you learned to take responsibility?

Presumably it's her car just as much as her husband's, which isn't the case with the son.
  • cjdavies wrote: »
    Insurance goes up annually claim or no claim, will be extra wirh claim, so needs to be worked out with claim added.

My insurance has NEVER gone up, in the entire 12 years Ive been driving.

Even when I wrote off my car my insurance went down (switched suppliers, but still...)
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My insurance has NEVER gone up, in the entire 12 years Ive been driving.

Even when I wrote off my car my insurance went down (switched suppliers, but still...)

:( mine does and i shop around as per Martin's guide.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals