Is it worth doing the MA?

Options
2»

Comments

• citygal
    citygal Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Guaranteed? Are you sure .....? Can you post brief details?

Yup- the work that I do is based on an increment scale- the more years of experience you have, the more money you get, the more qualifications the better. The difference between say the salary that I am now on and one that my colleagues are on who have an MA is £400 a month.
    Debt /Overdraft/Everything Free December 2007 :j
  • citygal
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    Could you compromise? Defer the MA for a year, get an extra part time job or lodger so that you start your MA a year later and either debt free or only a few months to go?

Well, I yes, it means that I will have to get an apartment where I will be sharing with someone (I don't own my own property)- so there will be compromises that I'll have to make! But this MA is on a PAYG rate, where each module is £450 and you can finish the whole degree within 5 years, so I can be flexible with my cash and time :)
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    mrcow wrote:
    Go for the MA!

In my experience, if you put these things off, you rarely go back and do it. Life always seems to get in the way somehow.

Have to disagree with you there....I went back and did mine in my forties and most of my fellow post-grads were well over thirty....one chap was in his eighties! icon7.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    citygal wrote:

you would be guaranteed a higher position and better salary

The difference between say the salary that I am now on and one that my colleagues are on who have an MA is £400 a month. (UNQUOTE)

Hmmmmmm....don't be so sure. Nothing is guaranteed in this life, particularly with regard to careers. Life has a very nasty habit of dropping spanners into the works. Also, don't go assuming that when you are ready to have a child, one will come along at the desired time.

Life does not do what you want it to do!! :cool:
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • citygal
    Options
    ceegee wrote:
    Hmmmmmm....don't be so sure. Nothing is guaranteed in this life, particularly with regard to careers. Life has a very nasty habit of dropping spanners into the works. Also, don't go assuming that when you are ready to have a child, one will come along at the desired time.

Life does not do what you want it to do!! :cool:

True- but with the Education sector- they do like you to get your post-grad qualifications!

I agree with you about the baby thing though! :)
  • Jacster_2
    Jacster_2 Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    Options
    My brother works in the Education sector and his salary is dependent on qualifications, so what you're saying sounds about right there. His qualifications make quite a big difference to his position on the pay scale.

Have you written a list with pros down one side and cons down the other? Weight the pros and cons then the best decision for you may jump off the page at you.

Good luck with your decision.
    If it was easy, everyone would do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family