New Post Advanced Search

Life insurance - awaiting mri results

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 592 views
AndersM0AndersM0 Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
Hello,
We need to put some mortgage protection in place after a recent remortgage. Unfortunately, since my partner is awaiting the results of an MRI scan for a knee op, he has been refused life insurance by the first provider we applied with. (or at least, offer is 'postponed' for 3 months)
I'm not sure what to do next - will it be impossible to get him insured until he's had his op? He is the main earner.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    105.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, if you are currently undergoing tests or awaiting results, the insurer will postpone a decision until the outcomes are known.

The providers that take on high-risk cases may accept cover during this stage but they will be damned expensive and may include exclusions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Weighty1Weighty1 Forumite
    968 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If there has been a specific diagnosis and the MRI is purely to see the extent of the situation then some providers may be willing to offer cover as surgery to the knee would be deemed low risk. However, if the MRI is because they are still trying to determine what the condition is then it's far more unlikely that terms would be offered.
  • Thanks for your reply - it's the former - but with this application I didn't get the chance to give details. How would I get as far as being able to discuss that with the insurer?
  • Weighty1Weighty1 Forumite
    968 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You'd need to be selective over the insurer used.

Some insurers rely almost entirely on an interactive online application process with very little human input whereas others have a much greater human input and can allow applicants to write "free text" within certain boxes, rather than just rely on a yes/no system.