PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7 a day the Paleo way

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,381 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    £7 a day on groceries? Are you nuts?!

Or just eating nuts :D

Eta: I should add that my own long-term eating habits (ie barely eating, and v rarely cooking) are starting to cause me some health problems.

This says it all.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I eat largely paleo too for health reasons....and I also take a range of supplements on medical advice. Sorry I am a bit confused ......is that £7 a day just for you or for 4.

Actually I dont think £7 a day for 4 of you is unreasonable. Food prices are definitely increasing. If you have an Aldi or Lidl they will save you a lot of money. I am a coffee snob and I love Aldis coffee.

Do you have A garden. You could grow berries, salads and vegetables, herbs etc. That should help at least in summer. Maybe freeze any surplus.

Good luck.

it's £7 a day just for me, will be great if we could chat Paleo ? I could do with some support and advice on that front

Mr El is £7 a day as well ... only he was more than that today
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    [/B]

This says it all.
    I have to say I was shocked at how dreadful I have lately, I can pretty much pin it on diet although I've never been a big eater.

Mum brought lunch over yesterday and I cooked for the first time in ?8 weeks this evening - big batch of spicy butternut squash soup, so I had a small bowl of that before freezing the rest. Actually, if cavemen cooked I think this is Paleo (or would have been, minus the bread roll I had with it) :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Elantan I eat low(er) carb so I get what you mean about paying more for certain things. I would take advantage of yellow sticker deals in your local stores. The discounted prices I see listed here on the boards always shocks me regarding how cheap can be in the U.K.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    it's £7 a day just for me, will be great if we could chat Paleo ? I could do with some support and advice on that front

Mr El is £7 a day as well ... only he was more than that today

Hi Elantan. I would be more than happy to chat paleo with you, either here or PM whichever you prefer.

A little about me........I am 66, a widow and in reasonably good nick.

I always had stomach problems, as far back as I can remember, with stomach ulcers at 17, IBS and GERD. The ulcers healed but I was still stuck with IBS And GERD. My GP prescribed Protein Pump Inhibitors to cut down the stomach acid which helped with the GERD for a while but I still struggled with IBS. Eventually the PPIs lost their effectiveness and the GERD returned with a vengeance.

This was whilst I was looking after my terminally ill husband so I just put it down to stress. Then the fibromyalgia started. Fun. :rotfl:

My husband died and I decided it was time to start caring for myself and began to address my own health issues. By this time I also had adrenal fatigue and my thyroid was playing up. Yes I was a wreck......

I had already began to realise that many of my problems could in fact be diet related because I noticed that wheat seemed to bother me. I tried to go gluten free but it did not have the desired effect.

Eventually I saw a nutritionist. I followed the advice to the letter and I am pleased to say I am now much healthier. I no longer need any medication and I am largely symptom free apart from the fibro which is steadily improving.

I now avoid all grains, including rice and whilst true paleo means no dairy I do have some because I think it helps keep up my calcium levels. I tend to try and stick to lacto free dairy whenever possible.
    I also avoid starchy carbs such as white potatoes. I am supposed to avoid all nightshade plants but I find I can tolerate them in moderation.

Luckily I am not coeliac so I can indulge in the odd grain based meal now and again without disastrous results. However I soon know if I have overdone it, my body tells me in no uncertain terms.

I appreciate that a paleo way of eating does cost more. Wheat is cheap and when it becomes the basis of most of your meals, ie breakfast cereals, bread, pasta etc then you can live very cheaply indeed. Meat and fish (I see you do not eat fish) do cost more than cereal based foods.

I will sign off now, I am currently in a hotel, just about to check out. I will be travelling home later and will be happy to talk more on the subject.

I was forced to have a wheat day yesterday so this morning I do have a headache. I do find that food on the go, restaurants and cafes are often very wheat based so eating out can be a problem at times.

But eating paleo at home is easy and with a bit of planning can be done on a budget, not as cheap as pasta and pizza of course, but definitely doable. I am sure you can get under £7 a day (not counting supplements).

We can talk later.......
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy yourself this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Free-Collins-Richard-Mabey/dp/0007183038

Youll be hard pushed to find a better source to source free paleo foods.

If youre time rich and money poor theres many ways you can save money / improve food quality from simple things like churning your own butter (you cant beat on taste freshly churned butter and i can drink the buttermilk until the cows come home. although not paleo) to a full on potagers garden. Allotments. Things like kale can add up and are so easily grown particularly perennial varieties. Same with fruits, apples and pears grow very easily in this country. I rifle through brambles once a year and it saves me £50 a year in blackberries assuming i would buy a pack a week (reality its probably less, a handful goes on some porridge once a week but to do the same id be wasting more food and spending more or just not eating as many blackberries).
  • elantan
    Options
    Hi Elantan. I would be more than happy to chat paleo with you, either here or PM whichever you prefer.

A little about me........I am 66, a widow and in reasonably good nick.

I always had stomach problems, as far back as I can remember, with stomach ulcers at 17, IBS and GERD. The ulcers healed but I was still stuck with IBS And GERD. My GP prescribed Protein Pump Inhibitors to cut down the stomach acid which helped with the GERD for a while but I still struggled with IBS. Eventually the PPIs lost their effectiveness and the GERD returned with a vengeance.

This was whilst I was looking after my terminally ill husband so I just put it down to stress. Then the fibromyalgia started. Fun. :rotfl:

My husband died and I decided it was time to start caring for myself and began to address my own health issues. By this time I also had adrenal fatigue and my thyroid was playing up. Yes I was a wreck......

I had already began to realise that many of my problems could in fact be diet related because I noticed that wheat seemed to bother me. I tried to go gluten free but it did not have the desired effect.

Eventually I saw a nutritionist. I followed the advice to the letter and I am pleased to say I am now much healthier. I no longer need any medication and I am largely symptom free apart from the fibro which is steadily improving.

I now avoid all grains, including rice and whilst true paleo means no dairy I do have some because I think it helps keep up my calcium levels. I tend to try and stick to lacto free dairy whenever possible.
    I also avoid starchy carbs such as white potatoes. I am supposed to avoid all nightshade plants but I find I can tolerate them in moderation.

Luckily I am not coeliac so I can indulge in the odd grain based meal now and again without disastrous results. However I soon know if I have overdone it, my body tells me in no uncertain terms.

I appreciate that a paleo way of eating does cost more. Wheat is cheap and when it becomes the basis of most of your meals, ie breakfast cereals, bread, pasta etc then you can live very cheaply indeed. Meat and fish (I see you do not eat fish) do cost more than cereal based foods.

I will sign off now, I am currently in a hotel, just about to check out. I will be travelling home later and will be happy to talk more on the subject.

I was forced to have a wheat day yesterday so this morning I do have a headache. I do find that food on the go, restaurants and cafes are often very wheat based so eating out can be a problem at times.

But eating paleo at home is easy and with a bit of planning can be done on a budget, not as cheap as pasta and pizza of course, but definitely doable. I am sure you can get under £7 a day (not counting supplements).

We can talk later.......

It would be absolutely fantastic to chat, you appear to have a full wealth of combining health and food choices, something I am trying to get to grip with. I am finding its trying to get to the whole grass fed etc bit that I think will cost alot of money,

Although trying to be as Paleo as I can be I happen to have a husband that thinks bread is Paleo even though I have explained so many times it isnt.

My sister has recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I tentatively suggested she look at nutrition last time we chatted, I hope she takes it on board but we will see.
  • elantan
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Buy yourself this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Free-Collins-Richard-Mabey/dp/0007183038

Youll be hard pushed to find a better source to source free paleo foods.

If youre time rich and money poor theres many ways you can save money / improve food quality from simple things like churning your own butter (you cant beat on taste freshly churned butter and i can drink the buttermilk until the cows come home. although not paleo) to a full on potagers garden. Allotments. Things like kale can add up and are so easily grown particularly perennial varieties. Same with fruits, apples and pears grow very easily in this country. I rifle through brambles once a year and it saves me £50 a year in blackberries assuming i would buy a pack a week (reality its probably less, a handful goes on some porridge once a week but to do the same id be wasting more food and spending more or just not eating as many blackberries).

Sadly I am more the opposite, I am time poor and cash not so great but DO understand that £7 a day per person is for others a huge amount, I previously did grow my own vegetables and would love to get back into it all again, I will need to set up a watering system for this to happen though as we go away as often as we can and last years vegetables died from lack of watering.

I love growing things as well, I am not saying I am great at it but it does give me a great sense of satisfaction when I eat something I have personally grown.

Maybe this is something I need to re look at. thank you for the idea.
  • elantan
    edited 19 March 2018 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Ok today I have been cooking again, I am working a 12.5 hour day tomorrow and 10 hours the rest of the week so cooking wont be on my high priority list of things to do.

Things made today

1kg mince =£10
    400g carrots =24p
    3 onions=50p
    Oxo cubes=40p
    bisto=11p

total=£11.25
    80p per portion

now this was the mince ... still have to work out the vegetables and the soup,

one thing I did discover was I have a big issue with portion control, how can I fix this? I'm thinking 125g of mince is a good portion, ( how much mince do we work out per person?) however, when I looked at that I noticed that wouldnt fill me even slightly so I measured out how much we would have as a portion. 300g was the answer so more than double.

This came about after yesterday when I noted the meal that should have been for 6 we made to do 4 meals, however, if I were to be totally truthful I will say realistically it was 2 portions, but we stretched it into 4.

so anyway the mince came to 1.8kg and I managed to portion it up into 14 portions, to me that is far too small but I am trying to get on top of this so it is an experiment kinda thing just now. it works out at 80p a portion .

Then I made

200g carrots =12p
    100g turnip= 10p
    200g cabbage=13p
    butter 100g =80p
    salt=15p
    pepper=10p

total =£1.40
    price per portion 70p

I divided this between two portions one for Mr El and one for myself for tomorrows dinner.

so dinner tomorrow is £1.50 but I reckon we are gonna be hungry tbh

p.s Lesson learned ... do you know of any Paloe bisto and oxo alternatives? I have never managed to source any
  • elantan
    edited 19 March 2018 at 2:07PM
    Options
    Soup

400g carrots= 24p
    1 swede= 50p
    3 onions =50p
    garlic =15p
    red lentils =21.5p
    salt-10p
    pepper=10p
    stock cube =45p

total = £2.255
    per portion =56p

now I measured out my flask, It holds 500ml and when I measured the soup it was 2ltrs so I will get 4 portions from my soup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure