PPI Claim - Divorced

Options
I had PPI on a joint mortgage many years ago. I'm fairly sure it was mis-sold but that's not for me to determine.

What's held me back from trying to reclaim is that the policy was with my ex-wife. That and the mortgage only lasted about 18 months so the amount of PPI would only be a few hundred I'm guessing.

I haven't had contact with my ex for many, many years. I don't even know if she's still in the same town nowadays so tracking down a postal address might be more effort than it's worth.

Would I be be correct in assuming:
a) I wouldn't be able to progress the complaint with just my signature
b) Any award would be made out either jointly or half each on production of divorce papers

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a) I wouldn't be able to progress the complaint with just my signature

Grey area. Some lenders will accept the complaint on the basis of one person. Some won't. If the lender insists on both parties then the FOS have been supporting that position.
    ) Any award would be made out either jointly or half each on production of divorce papers

Some lenders wont pay out anything until they have the agreement of both parties on how it should be split. Some will automatically go 50/50.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • HappyScotsman
    Options
    Ah well no harm in giving it a go then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills