IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Link Parking County Court

Options

Comments

• ControlTheLeaf
    Options
    "Unless the claimant does by xxxpm on the xxxx 2018 pay to the court the trial fee or file a properly completed application for help with fees, then the claim will be struck out without further order"

They didn't bother to pay the 25 pound court fee haha
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay - nearly there for sure!

Keep everything though, as we've seen Gladstones protest they DID pay in time, before now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • ControlTheLeaf
    Options
    What do I do in that instance? In those cases were they lying about it or had they actually?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do I do in that instance? In those cases were they lying about it or had they actually?

Solicitors don't lie - or at least they don't lie to a court as they would have a very short shelf-life if they did.

Gladstones operate a cash account where they give a list of cases to the court they want to progress and the court deducts the money from the cash account. Sometimes Gladstone's clients decide not to progress and the case is cancelled like yours. Sometimes (and this is what they are referring to above) there is money in the account but the court makes a mistake, or sometimes there is a mistake by Gladstones and the account has not been topped up.

As you won't know what has happened, just sit on the paperwork for a week or so.

Going back to lying to the court. As you see from this week, those thought to be lying can be charged with perversion of the course of justice. (PoCJ). Even if you are cleared of PoCJ your career, if you are a solicitor, is effectively over. The only work you can reasonably get is working in this industry.
  • ControlTheLeaf
    Options
    Unfortunately it was a false alarm...
    I received a letter from the court saying that the Gladstones had paid the wrong court (one the other side of the country with a completely different name!) and that the hearing is scheduled for this week.

I feel utterly unprepared and annoyed that I have book another day's holiday because of someone else's screw up.
  • System
    Options
    sometimes there is a mistake by Gladstones and the account has not been topped up.

Seems it is another mess up by them
    Gladstones sent us a rather sad bundle where they had incorrect information like the location markings of their own signs on a map. I sent them back my own witness statement.

All the paperwork is in position, you may not even need to turn up as you can ask for the case to be heard on papers only. Oral hearings are for weak Witness Statements or lies in the other one. You need to give 7 days notice to the court and to Gladstones.

If you are confident of your paperwork, then advise the court of the problem (rescheduling) and say you want it on papers only. That way they shouldn't send someone and the judge will make up his/her mind without verbal input from either side.
  • ControlTheLeaf
    Options
    Its a bit too late now. Its today. Wish me luck! I have sent a letter to the court saying that my partner would be my lay rep, should I also check with the usher if it's okay?
  • System
    edited 10 September 2018 at 11:15AM
    Options
    should I also check with the usher if it's okay?

When you go into court, the usher will ask who you both are. So at that point you can explain so he can forewarn the judge. When you actually go through the doors for the first time, the judge will ask who you all are, so there will be a second chance to explain.

The judge can decide to let your partner speak for you to "aid the court" and simplify the process [unusual not to].Expect to have to answer questions too again to aid the court though the Lay Rep can do the presentation of the facts.

Practice Direction 27 applies
    Representation at a hearing
    3.1 In this paragraph:

(1) a lawyer means a barrister, a solicitor or a legal executive employed by a solicitor or any other person authorised under the Legal Services Act 2007 to act as a litigator or advocate; and

(2) a lay representative means any other person.

(1) A party may present his own case at a hearing or a lawyer or lay representative may present it for him.

(2) The Lay Representatives (Right of Audience) Order 1999 provides that a lay representative may not exercise any right of audience:–

(a) where his client does not attend the hearing;

(b) at any stage after judgment; or

(c) on any appeal brought against any decision made by the district judge in the proceedings.

(3) However the court, exercising its general discretion to hear anybody, may hear a lay representative even in circumstances excluded by the Order.

(4) Any of its officers or employees may represent a corporate party.

IMHO it will all be over in 10 minutes. If Martin appears for Link, be aware he is an oliogenous character.
  • ControlTheLeaf
    Options
    A lady called Ms Lewis said she was a barrister and was instructed to deal with our case. She deliberately left out where she was from then has proceeded to dissapear from the room. What do i do? Can i challenge?
  • ControlTheLeaf
    Options
    Not with gladstones,
    "In chambers at bristol" is what i got when asked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business