Options
2»

Comments

• sanch3z_77
    sanch3z_77 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    So, you had investments in Japan during the lost decade. You have investments in Tech during the dot.com crash and you had European smaller companies in a period that was pretty dire holding european smaller companies (there was a period where they very were good for a year or two but then was a bad place to be for a number of years)

So, after all those negative periods, you changed them to something different that has only had positive periods since then. Plus, your UT/OEICS were from the bundled charged days and pre-date unbundling. Since unbundling, the differences between comparable UTs and ITs is typically very small.

There is no like-for-like comparison there at all. It reminds me of someone that once boasted about his investments doing so much better than what he used to have with an adviser. We looked at it and his investments were doing worse than what he had held. a) his older investments were held during negative periods whilst his newer investments were held in positive periods. b) the older investments were doing better in the positive periods and his newer investments would have done worse in the negative periods. The perception was completely wrong because it was comparing two different parts of the cycle and not like for like.

You shouldn't eliminate UT/OEICs on the basis of performance in different periods.

I agree with most of what you're saying, I had a range of funds invested with various different companies (JP Morgan, Best invest, Henderson) and for whatever reason they under performed. I didn't have these for short periods so they had a chance to deliver at some point. After nearly 18 years of very poor growth in managed funds I took back control. I was prepared for the loss as it wouldn't be a new feeling. I decided to buy individual companies that I felt could perform, I wanted to cherry pick things. Over the last eight years i've been please with my decision.

This doesn't mean I wont buy a UT in the future but my experience was bad and I felt there were individual companies that were worth investing in. So please don't lecture me, i've had experience with both, the problem with funds is you are relying on someone else making a decision on your behalf. In every down period there are companies that buck the trend and succeed, so even in the slump of Japan, global tech crash and Euro downturn winners could have been picked.

Sorry if that sounds rude but you are lecturing me on my own personal experience. I've not suggested anyone else follow this practise. As it stands i'm better off, I could go back and track how my previous UTs would have performed but life is too short.

Just out of interest, TW.L had a low of 4p per share and peaked at £2.11 that's an increase of 5175%, what other funds over an eight year period would have shown the same growth?

BDEV.L have gone from 56p to £7 so 1150%, again what would have delivered that?

All I really want to do is park what I have, then look at something else...
  • sanch3z_77
    sanch3z_77 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saying all the above, once i've parked my shares i'm looking for something that can give me a decent annual return, to spread my bets a little. I would seriously consider a couple of managed funds... Any recommendations welcomed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure