pip tribunal

Options
Hi can someone please help, I won my pip tribunal in may 2017 and was awarded it until january 2019, in february this year I was sent a review form, sent this back after filling it out, now ive received a letter telling me ive to go for a face to face, I phoned dwp they say they review 1 year before, the reason I appealed last time was because the f2f had told so many lies in there report and dates were not consistant throughout their report, the tribunal judge pointed this out herself, so if their report is lies again this time and dwp go with their report will I lose my pip even though a tribunal awarded it until jan 2019, dwp say yes but it seems so wrong that f2f can overturn it thanks for any advice

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Yes.

Reviews start a year before the end date. When a new decision is made that replaces the old one, regardless of how long there is until the old one runs out.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience last time and had to go to tribunal, hopefully things will be better this time.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xxjulyxx wrote: »
    the f2f had told so many lies in there report and dates were not consistant throughout their report, the tribunal judge pointed this out herself

Record the assessment - it keeps the assessor more honest.
  • xxjulyxx
    xxjulyxx Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Just seems tribunal was a waste of time if they can overturn the decision, I have osteo in both knees very bad, consultant wont operate for another 8 yrs, seems im too young, my condition has got worse and I put this on the review form, im now having to use a scooter will this go against me for using one, didnt expect to get f2f thanks for your replies though
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would dispute the consultant saying you're too young , it is probably a cost cutting exercise. my friend Sam had hip replacements done at the age of 15 and 16 so age isn't necessarily a barrier/B]
  • Ames
    edited 14 March 2018 at 7:47PM
    Options
    They're not overturning the tribunal decision. They've been paying you PIP since the tribunal decided you were entitled to it. The normal PIP renewal process is that it's done a year before the award runs out. This is the same whether you got it straightaway or had to go to tribunal.

It's unfortunate that you got such a short award, and I can see how annoying it is to have to start the process again so soon. But it's just the normal process that everyone on PIP goes through.

ETA: I do think that it should be explained clearly when an award is made that reassessment starts a year before it runs out. Even some welfare rights advisers don't know about it, and most first time claimants don't know. It's quite possible that some people miss the forms if they're not expecting them.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with what Ames says.
    Unfortunatly it is as it is.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    xxjulyxx wrote: »
    Hi can someone please help, I won my pip tribunal in may 2017 and was awarded it until january 2019, in february this year I was sent a review form, sent this back after filling it out, now ive received a letter telling me ive to go for a face to face, I phoned dwp they say they review 1 year before, the reason I appealed last time was because the f2f had told so many lies in there report and dates were not consistant throughout their report, the tribunal judge pointed this out herself, so if their report is lies again this time and dwp go with their report will I lose my pip even though a tribunal awarded it until jan 2019, dwp say yes but it seems so wrong that f2f can overturn it thanks for any advice

What you are facing is usual. My PIP history is a review every 2 years (3 year award), little or no award that eventually it is increased to enhanced for both mobility and care then back down again to a low or little award and another argument. It gets tedious but that is what the DWP want to do, make life difficult for you. You will either give in and give up or get stressed out every other year in arguing with them for a better award. Those are your choices I am afraid.
  • Ames
    Options
    mania1 wrote: »
    Well I imagine that it ought to be clarified unmistakably when a honor is made that reassessment begins a year prior to it runs out. Indeed, even some welfare rights counsels don't think about it, and most first time petitioners don't have the foggiest idea.

I know a benefits adviser who's adamant it's three months before it runs out. She didn't believe me when I said it's a year, her clients are going to be totally unprepared.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It states on the award notice the end date and the date for when they will contact you to look at the award again. The difference between these 2 dates is exactly 1 year. It states the same on both mine and my daughters awards.

The only time it can be slightly different is that some Tribunals give and end date only, if this is the case then DWP will contact you 3 months before the award is due to end. For these awards also, if a decision isn't made by that end date then payments will actually stop. Unlike the awards that have review dates.
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    Are you hoping for an increased award? Putting down your condition has worsened, as opposed to no change, will have almost certainly resulted in you being called for a f2f assessment.

That's not to say selecting 'no change' would have led to a paper based decision but, if you are already in receipt of the max award, it may have been worth considering to increase your odds of avoiding a f2f.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure