GDPR anyone?

Options

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jlfrs wrote: »
    That GDPR will prevent credit agencies from collecting and sharing personal data without my permission in the main. According to what I've read, I could exercise my "right to be forgotten" and insist Experian et al delete my data completely.
    Same goes for insurance companies who share personal data between themselves.
    Nope, won't work. They can have it for the main legitimate reason of their business, they just need your permission to use it for other reasons, so everyone should be getting a consent letter for the selling on, but not for the holding of the data for the main purpose of the business, i.e. maintain your credit file.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    And, will banks be forced to gain your EXPLICIT consent before they supply CATO information to the CRAs?

Interestingly, we are in the process of data mapping and setting up the requisite agreements with outside parties with whom we share data and our bankers are the only commercial organisation thus far not to play ball. Their current stance is that they work to the privacy and data handling rules encompassed within financial regulations and that is enough. I think our lawyers have a different view and I await the outcome of that discussion with interest.
  • jlfrs
    jlfrs Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    My guess is that a bunch of companies and organisations for whom GDPR compliancy is either a long drawn out process or too complex and expensive to implement will rely on sandbagging. I suppose the question is what happens if they don't cooperate and how far is anyone willing to go?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jlfrs wrote: »
    My guess is that a bunch of companies and organisations for whom GDPR compliancy is either a long drawn out process or too complex and expensive to implement will rely on sandbagging. I suppose the question is what happens if they don't cooperate and how far is anyone willing to go?

Frankly, that doesn't work for us. In order for us to be compliant we have to have agreements in place.
  • deletemydata
    Options
    Hi,

GDPR applies to every single company or organisation in the UK regardless of size. There are an awful lot of very nervous people panicking about it at the moment because what companies don't want are the ICO getting complaints and then knocking at their doors and checking them out. I am new on this site but work in GDPR full time. I left another forum post here a few minutes ago about the scope of GDPR for an individual and it may help (still learning how to navigate around on here)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    A couple of things to look out for; how will this affect water companies credit checking you and reporting your account to the CRAs without your permission, given that there are no T&Cs or contract in connection with domestic water supply?

I think you'll find there are T&Cs for your water supply. Here's the one for my water company:

https://www.yorkshirewater.com/sites/default/files/Charges%20scheme%202017-18v3.pdf
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I think you'll find there are T&Cs for your water supply. Here's the one for my water company:

https://www.yorkshirewater.com/sites/default/files/Charges%20scheme%202017-18v3.pdf

No. Couldn't find anything about T&Cs in that document.

It does seem a difficult one to get across, but for the supply of water there are no T&Cs; definitely not. You agree to nothing. They are obliged to supply you, and you are obliged to pay. That's it. Regarding their use of credit reference agencies, they proceed without your consent.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

GDPR applies to every single company or organisation in the UK regardless of size.

Not to mention nonprofit making sports and social clubs and their ilk who can ill afford someone willing to volunteer so sort out the necessaries.
    Then there are the hobby online forums all of whom will also be caught by this.

Many might just decide to shut down instead.
    Another "success" story for the EU from whose stable the legislation came.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Not to mention nonprofit making sports and social clubs and their ilk who can ill afford someone willing to volunteer so sort out the necessaries.
    Then there are the hobby online forums all of whom will also be caught by this.

Many might just decide to shut down instead.
    Another "success" story for the EU from whose stable the legislation came.
    No one will shut down because of this! Seems like you don't have an understanding of the scope of it.

For most small clubs etc they only keep your data for the purposes of a membership list and maybe to send newsletters, they just simply need to reconfirm this use. So long as they are not selling the data on or using it for some other purpose that they haven't made clear, then no change. Its the same from when the DPA came in, people said the same then. Though I suppose if anyone is still keeping lists offline and were not effected by DPA, they will be for GDPR. :rotfl:

This is all about analysing what data you store on people, and where it's used, and what for, and ensuring you have informed the customer specifically for these uses rather than some generalised catch all..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure