Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
3.8K replies 252.9K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed KC, it does indeed take work :eek:

Found a statement for Mr Cheery's pension :j Well, from 2017 (and the 6 years before that) but not 2018 - although it hasn't changed much as he's not paying in any more. Looks like I was right with the annual £10,000 ish, but the lump sum is around £27,000.

As for mine, well. Found a statement for one of them from 2014 - tried logging in to the website but the member number listed on the letter from them is apparently, according to their website, 'not a member number' :mad: I think I must have other correspondence from them at work so I'll check in the office on Wednesday, and if not, give them a ring.

The other one sent an email reminder to log in the other day, so I clicked on it, but apparently can't remember my pin (oh dear, it's been a day of that - I spent 30 minutes this morning fruitlessly trying to remember or change my work password before being told I can't do it while I'm at home and am effectively logged out of my work laptop til Wednesday!). Have sent a request for a new one and will try again tomorrow.

Work indeed :rotfl: :rotfl:

Today has been a NSD :money: Largely because I've been working at home and haven't left the house :rotfl: I had freezer soup for lunch :money: and made myself a cheery tea. Congratulated myself for chopping and roasting a giant pile of annoyingly small carrots - but then sat down to eat my tea, got engrossed in a book until the smoke alarm went off :o:o:o

Complete frugal fail - waste of carrots, time and energy! Gah!

Hey ho, on to UFM Day 7...
    Mortgage end date at start: Feb 2043
    Mortgage end date now: Feb 2033
  • edited 7 January 2019 at 9:01PM
    Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 January 2019 at 9:01PM
    Aha, right - can finally log in to Pension Number 2 :j

Bear in mind I've only been paying in 3 years... :rotfl:

Annual pension at the minute (claimed from 2048 :eek: ) = £2,268.48 :rotfl:

There's an optional lump sum of about £10k, but that reduces the annual sum by about £1.5k.

Anyway, will be paying in a few more years yet I'd hope!

If I die after I've retired, Mr Cheery will get £850 a year :rotfl: That won't even cover one mortgage payment so let's hope I don't! (although we have life insurance for me... and actually by the time I get to retirement the pot will be far bigger anyway, and anyway if I don't retire til I'm 68 and then die, at that point Mr Cheery will be 86 so he won't need much ;) ) If I die while I'm still working, he'll get £133,000.

Hmm, that's a good point actually. If he dies, I'll get £47k, and £4k a year.

Where does that fit in the net worth calculations?! :eek: :eek:

Best not thought about I think :o:o:o
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UFM Day 7

Today is all about groceries, and not wasting the food you buy :eek: :eek: :eek:

Normally I'd say we're not too bad about that - but see today's aforementioned carrot-roasting fiasco :o:o:o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

On the whole we're pretty good as I say, although there is sometimes the odd cucumber that languishes in the back of the fridge... But even if stuff does go off, it feeds the compost, which ultimately feeds us, so it's not as bad as it could be, but still not ideal.

So, I shall keep a special eye out to make sure we eat everything we buy (or grow, although there's not much of that this time of year) from now on. I'll even pick out the odd one of those carrots that isn't too much like charcoal :o:o :rotfl: :rotfl:
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right (I will shut up about this shortly I promise). To summarise, as I've now worked out roughly the value of my other one

Mr Cheery's pension
    £10k a year plus £27k lump, payable from 2027

My Pension 1 (not paying in any more so won't substantially increase)
    £2700 a year plus £8k lump sum, payable from 2048

My Pension 2 (current)
    Currently £2268 a year.

If Mr Cheery dies, I'll get £47k plus £4k a year. No life insurance so mortgage won't get paid off (he's expensive and we decided I'd get over myself and back to work soon enough!)

If I die while still working, Mr Cheery will get enough from life insurance to pay the mortgage off (plus a bit more if we keep overpaying) plus £133k from my pension. Puts my mind at rest a bit.

Clearly don't want to spend too much time thinking about death :eek: and either one of us could go at any point of course :eek: but I suppose given the age difference, barring major catastrophe, he's likely to go first.

Anyway, enough morbidness! :eek: back to charcoal carrots!
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello, just been reading about Mr Cheery and his pension. I was wondering if he's got a projection of his state pension. It's something it'd be a good idea to do. You mentioned he hasn't been working for a few years, so I was wondering if he was paying National Insurance. If he hasn't been paying NI, it's possible he hasn't got enough NI years to get a full New State Pension. Therefore, if he gets a state Pension Projection, he can check his entitlement, and if necessary, he can pay voluntary NI contributions to increase his entitlement to the full NSP, currently about £164 pw
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks goldiegirl, that's really helpful :j

He's actually been self employed for years and has been paying NI through that so should be reasonably close to where he should be at least. Worth checking though, thank you!
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the chickens can eat your leftovers... including cremated carrots.
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for thinking of the chickens greenbee :D

Legally, they can't eat my leftovers! :eek: Not meant to feed them any food that's passed through a non-vegan kitchen :eek: :eek:

And also practically, they won't touch carrots anyway :rotfl: They're right fussy :rotfl: I actually BOUGHT them a whole cabbage the other week and it just sat there on the floor of their run, taunting me :o :rotfl: They do get plenty of apple cores though :D They don't go through the kitchen... ;)
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're not selling the eggs I wouldn't worry to much. Just don't let anyone see you giving them treats...
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    36.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pension workings are really great, Cheery - you're not boring your audience, I guarantee you that.

Laughing at the chickens sneering at the cabbage!

I'm also self employed (or I was, anyway) and checking my pension rights was good - even though I've only had two years disrupted by taking three month breaks between jobs, I only just qualified for the new number of years - its something like 30 years? I didn't start work till I was 22, of course, cos of au pairing.

I've done some calculations, so I'll have a go on my thread soon. Thanks for this.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021.......... Bunny hugger