Cheery's country living adventure

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
3.5K replies 240.1K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    11K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, today has been another relaxed and cheerful one. I partly feel lazy and like I should be doing something, but also feel like I'm feeding my brain and my soul by being quiet and calm and relatively still so I'm not going to feel too guilty :D

Thank you for your kind words starnac :D and welcome back! :j

And RT, I don't blame you for staying in :rotfl:

Another NSD for me :money: Mostly helped by not leaving the homestead :rotfl: I've tried to make myself useful this afternoon though by doing some cooking! :eek: Gotten SO out of the habit lately, barring a quick stir fry or something equally uninspired :o This afternoon I sat down with a pile of recipe books and noted down things I wanted to try out over the next few weeks.

So this afternoon I had roasted sprouts (from River Cottage Veg) and a courgette and mushroom gratin from Rose Elliot :j Of course, I am incapable of following a recipe to the later so there was much improvisation in both recipes :rotfl: But they were extremely tasty and I am feeling nicely full and satisfied (and even had second helpings of the gratin - I would have had seconds of the sprouts but I ate them all the first time :rotfl: )

Still got a few things to potter with this evening. I want to spend a bit of time sorting out the study - I cleared a cupboard out yesterday which is by the desk and which would be great for holding stationery and stuff that I need access to (to get it off the desk surface) but which was full of old paperwork, cast off bits of wool, spare presents etc.

However, I ditched it all in the middle of the floor so today's job is sorting it out. Some of the washing in there might be dry now too.

Texted a pal about meeting up tomorrow so that is unlikely to be a NSD, but it won't involve anything more dramatic than a cafe trip (and I'll try to eat beforehand so there's no snacking!)

Right, best make a cuppa and set to work in the study. It won't clean itself! I think your idea of 20 min bursts of productivity is good RT (although I might go for 15 mins before a 15 min sit down - need to break myself back in gently :rotfl: )
    Mortgage end date at start: Feb 2043
    Mortgage end date now: Feb 2033
  • ElmoRElmoR Forumite
    282 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi Cheery Daff
    Your journey sounds very close to the kind of place we would love to find with the countryside, hares and badgers, even the home grown eggs! We did a similar style wedding a couple of years ago too!
    I'm subscribing to your diary because you also write really positively and with a lot of humour!!
    Thanks for sharing your journey,
    ElmoR
    2018 £40,000 and 2027 M end date
    Aiming to reduce, using OPs: 2019 £30k, 2020 £20k, 2021 £10K, 2022 MF. Update: Feb 2020 at £19K. Update: Oct 2020 at £1,071 after frugal living and an aggressive attack on the thing!! Nov 4th 2020 = the mortgage is slain!!
    11K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome ElmoR and thank you for your kind words :j How very lovely :) It's taken us a long time to get out here (and actually I quite enjoyed living in the city, I wasn't longing to leave!) but it's well worth it (for us anyway) :j

Mr Cheery just asked what we were planning to do with the £20 a relative sent in a Christmas card - I confess I'd clean forgotten about it :o :eek: :o So that's my first mortgage overpayment of 2019 :money: :money:

Very exciting :D

I made myself an OP tracker in a notebook - I meant to make a square for every £10 so I could colour them in as I went :j However, in a fit of slight drunkenness and bad maths I actually made a square for every £1 :o :rotfl: :rotfl: Motivational, yes - but when we eventually sort out the married tax allowance that's going to mean quite a lot of colouring :rotfl:
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving the every-£1 mortgage OP tracker :)

I totally agree with you about UFM Day 3 - I think if you're a hardened MSEr then you're unlikely to be an impulse buyer.

Enjoy your meet-up with your friend!
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...Mr Cheery just asked what we were planning to do with the £20 a relative sent in a Christmas card...

Cheery - your Mr is a keeper!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    4.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    11K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly is RT! :D Although I'm not quite sure why in relation to that :rotfl: :o

Another nice and chilled day here :j Watched a film this morning while I did some knitting, met a friend in a cafe (£10 spent for me and Mr Cheery, not toooo bad for 2 hours in there...), then a bit of pottering round a local market town - just bought milk, some seeds as extra protein for the chickens, and a pair of jeans in a charity shop for me for £5 - which totally comes within yesterday's 'waiting 3 days' rule as I have been on the lookout for a pair as my only pair (other than the ones I'm wearing) developed indecent holes in the crotch in early December and I've been making do ever since :eek:

Anyway, must waffle on about UFM... :D
    11K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uber Frugal Month Day 4

So, Day 4 already!

Today is all about eliminating recurring expenses and investing what you've saved. I'm not toooo bad on recurring expenses - no daily coffee habit fortunately, although my cafe trips do leave a lot to be desired and in yesterday's YNAB reconciliation I discovered an auto-renewed magazine subscription!! :eek: :eek: NOT impressed with myself! The initial offer was good (£5 for 5 issues) but £18 for 6 more issues isn't exactly great :o So that's on tomorrow's list to cancel, and I'll check there aren't any more while I'm at it...

Anyway, today's reading made me think about investments... Clearly we don't have any :o :rotfl: and our savings account is currently a pitiful 0.46% :rotfl: :rotfl:

In terms of boundaries.. We're not in a position to do any actual investing. We don't have a current account that has a linked regular saver, and we don't want to switch current accounts. We don't have so much in the way of savings that we'd want to fix it away, just in case the septic tank explodes or the car dies or the boiler gives up :eek:

So from looking at Martin's guides, that leaves our best options as:

(1) V1rg1n regular saver (3%, can pay in £250 a month, unlimited withdrawals but can't manage online)

or

(2) Marcus at 1.5% or P0st Office at 1.45% - both can manage online and unlimited withdrawals and no maximum balance (or at least not one that I'm likely to get anywhere near :rotfl: )

Hmm. Max interest on the regular saver (according to them) after 14 months (when the rate changes) would be £65. I'd have to go to the city to open it (not planning to be there for a while!) but then shouldn't need to go again.

Just checked Martin's 'drip feed calculator' - which as far as I can see assumes you put all your savings in the (lower rate) easy access account, and drip feed the monthly maximum into the (higher rate) regular saver. Looks like that should get us about £150 in interest over the year so well worth doing :eek:

(although annoyingly one of them - can't remember which now - pays out in March, so the bulk of the interest will come off next year's mortgage OPs not this years :rotfl: )

Right - that's on my list to do tomorrow now then (the online one) and I'll check what docs I need for the next time I go into the big city for the other one :j

11K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right - online one applied for already :money:

Going to reserve judgement on the regular saver owing to having to make a special trip to the city. Also I'd likely have to open it in just my name as Mr Cheery approaches banks as cats approach baths :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl: But we have a variety of savings accounts at the minute and only one of them is joint anyway so it doesn't really matter (unless we fall out or one of us dies I suppose :eek: )

Anyway, that's a worry for another day, not now :D For now let's just celebrate trebling the interest rate on the savings with almost no effort :D
  • TescodealqueenTescodealqueen Forumite
    846 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Cheery did you ever look at the TSB current account i mentioned you don't have to switch just have an extra account and it pays 5% the regular saver with it pays 2% and you can do it all online i have mine in conjunction with my current account which from what you have said on here about rewards payments is the same as yours i think
    11K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah,I remember you mentioning it TDQ but didn't see it on Martin's list (but actually I was looking at savings accounts not current ones). Didn't realise you didn't have to switch to it, that's helpful. I just had a look & it pays 5% on balances up to £1500 (not sure what after that, do you know? I assume nowt or very little) and you have to pay in £500 a month.

How do you manage it? In my just-woken-up brain I'd be transferring in £1500 each month from the savings account then transferring it out again after the interest had been calculated bit that seems a bit mad :rotfl: :rotfl: Might be worth it though for that level of interest! (And would save !!!!ing about with V1rgin and their non-online account - the lower total balance would near enough cancel out with higher interest I think)

Hmm... Will investigate, thank you!