🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Attendance Allowance and extra Pension Credit

Options
Beenie
Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 10 March 2018 at 2:46PM in Benefits & tax credits
I have claimed AA on behalf of my mother (over 80 and has carers coming in each day).

The DWP visiting officer said that this benefit would automatically 'passport' my mother into extra Pension Credit.

The social services finance officer has disagreed and says that I should make a separate claim for PC. He has sent me the form which arrived in the post today.

I don't mind completing another form, but don't want to waste everyone's time, including mine, if it isn't necessary.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    I have claimed AA on behalf of my mother (over 80 and has carers coming in each day).

The DWP visiting officer said that this benefit would automatically 'passport' my mother into extra Pension Credit.

The social services finance officer has disagreed and says that I should make a separate claim for PC. He has sent me the form which arrived in the post today.

I don't mind completing another form, but don't want to waste everyone's time, including mine, if it isn't necessary.

Sorry, but could you confirm?

Is your mum receiving Pension Credit at the moment? Has she been awarded AA or you have just put in an application?

What is the form that has been sent to you for? Pension Credit claim? Something else?
  • Beenie
    Options
    Mum has pension credit already. The application for AA has just been made. The DWP visiting officer suggested that AA should be claimed, and that extra PC would be granted on top of the AA.

The social services chap is interested because he needs to take all mum's income into account when working out her contribution to her care package. The form he has sent me is for PC (which she already gets). I am a bit confused as two officials are contradicting each other.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options

That's what happened with my late mum, was around ten years ago though. All of a sudden she was getting the extra PC so I checked with the DWP and it was correct.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • weavedribbon
    Options
    So you haven't had a decision on the AA yet? If that's awarded only then would she be entitled to more pension credit so for now you just need to wait for that decision. I don't think you need to make a new claim for pension credit.
  • Beenie
    Options
    No decision made yet - the claim was only submitted in the past few days.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The financial officer at the council has told me that when he assesses people for their contribution to care in their own home, he takes into account every benefit they are entitled to (whether they claim it or not) as he can cliam this money on behalf of the council. Fair enough, we don't want the ratepayers taking the full burden. As i see it, I claim the AA on mum's behalf but it goes straight to the council via direct debit. She is still OK as she gets her pension and pension credits. If the claim is turned down for whatever reason, we are no worse off....it's the council who lose out as they can't take the AA into their calculations.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    If your mum already receives Pension Credit then you so not have to anything until you receive the decision about AA. At the moment nothing has changed.

If your mum is granted AA then you notify Pension Credit and they adjust her Pension Credit if she is eligible for the severe disability premium with her Pension Credit.
  • pmlindyloo
    Options
    No decision made yet - the claim was only submitted in the past few days.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The financial officer at the council has told me that when he assesses people for their contribution to care in their own home, he takes into account every benefit they are entitled to (whether they claim it or not) as he can cliam this money on behalf of the council. Fair enough, we don't want the ratepayers taking the full burden. As i see it, I claim the AA on mum's behalf but it goes straight to the council via direct debit. She is still OK as she gets her pension and pension credits. If the claim is turned down for whatever reason, we are no worse off....it's the council who lose out as they can't take the AA into their calculations.

In view of what the financial officer has said I suggest that you have a read of this so you are aware of how this should work.

https://www.housingcare.org/downloads/kbase/3095.pdf
  • Beenie
    Options
    That link is one of the most useful things I've read so far. It makes it very clear how the calculations are worked out. The other thing is that councils appropriating monies used to be discretionary, but they are all cash-strapped now and so most of them will take anything received over and above the current guaranteed weekly income level of £189.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options
    That link is one of the most useful things I've read so far. It makes it very clear how the calculations are worked out. The other thing is that councils appropriating monies used to be discretionary, but they are all cash-strapped now and so most of them will take anything received over and above the current guaranteed weekly income level of £189.

Which in my opinion is fair.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    A most informing lot of information.
    Firstly I do doubt that the council will assume an income stream such as Attendance allowance if that benefit isn't claimed. If it actually does then where would it stop? - force the claimant to go to a Tribunal if they are turned down?

If the mother already has an income of over £189 without making the AA claim I personally don't see the financial advantage to her in pursuing such a claim as it would all end up in the council's coffers in the end. Sort of a payment by the DWP becomes an income for the local authority?? As for most local authorities that are involved in the care process, I highly doubt that they are that cash strapped when you consider the amount of money that the councillors take for themselves. I thought, genuinely, that all councillors do the work on a voluntary basis. From my experience of my local council they have policy every year not to take anything other than some expenses to cover petrol, paper and ink. It is printed in the annual report that every house gets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport