124»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 March 2018 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Chalk07 wrote: »
    It was the far left lane, so no... you do not.

That is L3. L1 is the one on the left most side. So not only do you not know what lane is what, you were still in the right lane exiting the roundabout at the point where you were almost at the central reservation on that exit when you decided to leave. The guy who was in the left lane no doubt exiting the fourth exit and in the left lane to come off to go up Dale Street assumed you were going to go back up the A59, were you even using your indicators?

I've been round that roundabout many times over the years and people drive like utter idiots on it. I'm beginning to think more and more that you were trying to go flying round the outside (the roundabout island side) and overtake the cars to your left on the roundabout and came a cropper.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP if you're lucky, the guys insurers will just pay out and won't question anything. If they do starting asking questions, imo you're looking at split liability. Other driver would hold some liability for being in the wrong lane but you will also hold liability.

While your wording of "he cut me up" implies he crossed into your lane, it seems it was actually you who crossed into his lane/failed to give way to traffic already in that lane.

Sorry OP, but thats my opinion based on what you've told us.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Cash-Strapped.T32
    Cash-Strapped.T32 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 10:57AM
    Options
    Not getting into any of the debate of the rights, wrongs, backward numbering of lanes etc.. (although I noticed that too :p)..

In short in scenarios where your car is damaged but the other car hasn't been touched then if there are no witnesses willing to give a very detailed witness account, that your insurance company will consider a "slam dunk" (as the Americans say), or unless there is CCTV/cam footage, you're pretty much stuffed.

Can you be surprised if the other driver's insurance co refuse to hand out a bunch of money to your insurance co, when their own customer's car hasn't been in an accident?
    Because of this, your insurance company know that most of the time it's a waste of time to try & claim from the other insurance company, and thus won't waste the manpower and time (which can be the most expensive part when you add in hire cars, etc.. - even more so if you've got compo-neck syndrome) to try & claim - ergo it ends up being a fault-claim for you.

Your insurance co need easy to interpret proof they can send to the other insurance co, such that they'll go "yeah ok, we can't get out of this one - here, have a load of money"

In this scenario however, you seem to have decent witnesses *and* police backup (in the witness sense, not for prosecution).
    Make the most of it.
    Ensure you get everything you can from those witnesses asap, personally I'd be getting statements form them, not just promises to give a statement at a later date, if required, etc..

Best of luck :)
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    That is L3. L1 is the one on the left most side. So not only do you not know what lane is what

I wouldn't be too smug about telling people that they don't know what they are on about.
    Only yesterday you gave "advice" to someone by referring to an organisation that hasn't existed for almost 4 years. (VOSA).
    People living in glasshouses.. etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport