Why should you SORN a car on private land

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They send out £80 fines but do you really need to pay it? What will happen, they send a few debt collectors until they get board and move on.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They send out £80 fines but do you really need to pay it? What will happen, they send a few debt collectors until they get board and move on.
    This post brought to you by the letters C, C, and J.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    This post brought to you by the letters C, C, and J.

But do you not just claim that you sent it in the post and that Royal Maily lost it?

Either way I've never had that problem as I always tax or SORN when required without fail.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But since any vehicle that isn't taxed must legally be SORNed, there's no functional difference.

Well, I s'pose there is the very tiny handful of vehicles that haven't changed keeper or been taxed since 1998...

There is. I have three. Registered, untaxed, uninsured and not SORNed
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options
    The reason the law was changed is more difficult. Apparently the Labour government didn't trust us (which will come as a huge surprise to no-one), so thought if we let the tax run out that meant we were using the vehicle untaxed. So they changed it to force us to declare the vehicle was off road, as if that somehow made a difference to people using untaxed vehicles.
    Actually it was to address the practice of people buying cars with tax on and driving them around without insurance, something that was popular with Eastern European migrants and certain lowlife. At the time it came into force the Police with ANPR could check a car was taxed but they couldn't check it was insured, the Motor Insurance Database was only created in 2009 and access to it via ANPR checks weren't available for a few years after so whilst an officer could find out if they radio'd in when they'd stopped you, a random ANPR check as you were being followed wouldn't show if you were uninsured so the likelihood of being caught without insurance in a taxed car was quite low.

It was common knowledge around the local auction circuit that if you wanted to get daft money for your banger you put it through with several months road tax on it instead of cashing it in.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Actually it was to address the practice of people buying cars with tax on and driving them around without insurance, something that was popular with Eastern European migrants and certain lowlife.

Given that none of the Eastern European countries had joined the EU, so facilitating free movement, when the SORN legislation was enacted I somehow doubt that was the reason.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Given that none of the Eastern European countries had joined the EU, so facilitating free movement, when the SORN legislation was enacted I somehow doubt that was the reason.
    Hush with your facts and reality...

It was actually everything to do with the then-popular hobby of skipping a month. Your tax disc expires at the end of March, you tax it from May...
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you declare your garden an independent state, then EU/UK law wouldn't apply, and you wouldn't need to SORN, insure or tax your car whilst in your own state.

I don't think you would need to tax it whilst "visiting" the UK either.

Problem solved!
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • AdrianC
    Options
    The road tax run out, and I didn’t have the original letter sent to SORN or tax the car. I called DVLA and explained, their reply was we’ll issue you another letter which they did with the long number on it
    I've just noticed this bit in the original post, which nobody's actually addressed.

It is, of course, utter codswallop. DVLA would actually have said "Just use the doc ref on the V5C, then."
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Options
    I've just noticed this bit in the original post, which nobody's actually addressed.

It is, of course, utter codswallop. DVLA would actually have said "Just use the doc ref on the V5C, then."

Try post #6 by yours truly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport