Employer annoyed about LinkedIn status

Options
13»

Comments

• Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 10:37PM
    Options
    But the employer in this case thinks there is another employer, that is not "out of work", it is work but with a different employer. They do need to know because, if their employee has not signed a 48-our opt out, the employer needs to know they are not working in excess of the 48-hour average.

OP states that employer is accusing them of running their own business and refuses to believe them.

This is not a case of legitimate concern about complying with the working time directive, otherwise they would simply ask the OP to sign an opt out.
    I think the general HR/legal view is that this ISN'T enforceable. The recommended wording is something like 'without our consent, which shall not be unreasonably withheld'. That IS enforceable.

It's also necessarily implied by your contract that you should ask them if you want to have another business interest. That is also enforceable. And that is what is upsetting them, I think. Not necessarily that you have another business interest (and it is a reasonable conclusion of theirs, from your LI profile, that you do, even though in fact you do not) but that you haven't asked their consent for this.

I would think your best way forward would be to explain that your LI profile is for networking opportunities, for when you can buy a second property, and is not related to work or employment in any way (assuming that I have understood your posts correctly).

Having a contract with a business does not imply you have no other business interests in your life, you have an agreement to provide them with services for a price, that does not preclude conducting other business ventures, there is no requirement to seek anyone's consent to earn a living, that is long established in case law.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Energize wrote: »
    Having a contract with a business does not imply you have no other business interests in your life, you have an agreement to provide them with services for a price, that does not preclude conducting other business ventures, there is no requirement to seek anyone's consent to earn a living, that is long established in case law.

I agree with all this, but would point out that the OP's contract states that he should seek permission for any 2nd job.........
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but would point out that the OP's contract states that he should seek permission for any 2nd job.

Which post number did the OP say that? (apologies if I missed it).
    What exactly did it say? - For example not being an employee does not stop you being a director or investor.
  • Fused
    Fused Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I do not have a 2nd job though. I simply attended a property investment course in the interest of private investment in property for the future.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How long have you been employed by this employer.
    This is critical to your employment rights and you haven't answered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure