Employer annoyed about LinkedIn status

Options
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me. Back in 2016 I attended a weekend course for property investing.

The person providing the training suggested a good way of networking with other property investors would be to update social media, to let our contacts know we were involved in property.

I updated my linkedin profile to suggest this, although I didn't set up a business, it was purely for networking.

My employer has now brought this to light, suggesting that I'm running a business without their knowledge. I have explained that I am not partaking in any business, I've not made any investments (due to finanacial reasons). They are saying they do not believe me, as my Linkedin status suggests I'm employed by them and another company.

Are they able to use this information against me? I'm concerned I may lose my job because of this and I am totally innocent, all I did was add some information to Linkedin.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How long have you been in the job?
    This is critical.
    to let our contacts know we were involved in property

But you are not "involved" in property are you?
    On the face of what you've said, it sounds like your linked in profile does mis-represent you as "involved" when you are not.

What exactly does the information say about your level of involvement?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, they can use it against you. If they have reasonable grounds to think that you are working a second job that could be a disciplinary issue and could certainly be an issue for you if you were to look for a promotion etc, if the impression they have of you is that you are not fully committed or if they feel that you don't fit the ethos of their business.

The sensible thing to do would be to either amend what you have on linked in, to make it clearer that you are a private investor in property, or to remove it altogether.

I would also suggest that you explain to your employer why you added the information and let them know that you are willing to remove or change the information so it is less confusing.

From their perspective, they have a legitimate concern that you may have a second job, which may be in breach of your terms of employment and which (if you work full time) would raise legitimate concerns about whether you are doing a side job on the clock.

They may also have concerns that it could give their customers or clients the wrong impression if they check your listing.

Linked in is primarily marketed and perceived as a professional network rather than a social one - I'm sceptical as to how useful it would be to you in any event of you are not working in that sector, but if you feel that social media would be helpful then I'd suggest that you look accounts which are wholly separate from your job or professional role, - look at twitter, forums or sites dedicated to investors /. property investment etc.

Also, consider what, if any, benefits you have had from having the information on our profile? What, specifically, were you hoping to get from it? I can see that networking is important if you *are* working and looking for clients, but much less so if you are simply interested in investing privately.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quote the exact text you put on Linked-In
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Fused
    Fused Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I have explained why the information was there and since removed it. It had been there for nearly 2 years and had forgotten about it.
    The status said 'looking to network with likeminded property investors having completed my Progressive training' I wish I hadn't put it on there now, I didn't realise it would cause such confusion
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would think that people only join L/I when they're hoping for a better job, maybe that's what your employer thinks.
  • Fused
    Options
    I've been on Linkedin for years and not for the purpose of looking for a different job. I've always used it for networking.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fused wrote: »
    I've been on Linkedin for years and not for the purpose of looking for a different job. I've always used it for networking.

Networking for what purpose?
  • Fused
    Options
    Networking for work. I work in marketing and PR so networking is key to my role
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use LinkedIn to keep in touch with past work colleagues, I am extremely secretive with my FB and work is kept totally off FB.

I received an award at work and added this to my LinkedIn profile. My director called me in his office the very next day. Someone had told him I'd added it and he asked me if I was I looking to move on.

The move never entered my head, but did make me think this is perhaps what the majority use it for.

My company is quite high profile on there and posts daily, I use to keep to date with my industry and find it very interesting.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Yes, they can use it against you. If they have reasonable grounds to think that you are working a second job that could be a disciplinary issue and could certainly be an issue for you if you were to look for a promotion etc, if the impression they have of you is that you are not fully committed or if they feel that you don't fit the ethos of their business.

The sensible thing to do would be to either amend what you have on linked in, to make it clearer that you are a private investor in property, or to remove it altogether.

I would also suggest that you explain to your employer why you added the information and let them know that you are willing to remove or change the information so it is less confusing.

From their perspective, they have a legitimate concern that you may have a second job, which may be in breach of your terms of employment and which (if you work full time) would raise legitimate concerns about whether you are doing a side job on the clock.

They may also have concerns that it could give their customers or clients the wrong impression if they check your listing.

Linked in is primarily marketed and perceived as a professional network rather than a social one - I'm sceptical as to how useful it would be to you in any event of you are not working in that sector, but if you feel that social media would be helpful then I'd suggest that you look accounts which are wholly separate from your job or professional role, - look at twitter, forums or sites dedicated to investors /. property investment etc.

Also, consider what, if any, benefits you have had from having the information on our profile? What, specifically, were you hoping to get from it? I can see that networking is important if you *are* working and looking for clients, but much less so if you are simply interested in investing privately.

Working a second job is not normally something an employer can take action against, individuals are free to engage in business with multiple employers if they wish, unless there is a direct conflict of interest it's really not an employers business what the employee gets up to out of work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure