Best and safest way to deposit a six figure sum?

Options
2»

Comments

• heathrow
    heathrow Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm working in Saudi Arabia (and have been for the last 8 months).

I get paid in US Dollars to a US Dollar account with HSBC UK - I then use Fineco to convert to pounds. I am well paid, working as a contractor here in a tax-free environment. Saudi is a country which raises red flags.

I've successfully been through the HSBC Safeguard process. I know it's successful because they've confirmed that they are content, and will come back to me in 3-5 years.

The trick seems to be:

* Be honest.
    * If they leave a message for you, follow up straightaway.
    * Answer ALL their questions. I've seen comments here about how HSBC is doing this is for "marketing"; not true. HSBC was sued in the US for money laundring and as part of it not being shut down it is under enormous pressure to put its house in order.

You might think their questions are intrusive - they are, but HSBC wouldn't be doing this unless it really had to. It is an expensive process for them and annoys customers and will generate no new revenue for them.

You might have been a customer for many years but when you opened your first account (e.g. as an apprentice - my mother opened her Midland Bank account in 1963 as a student nurse) they won;t have had anti-money laundering checks.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport