Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: First Direct tops our service poll

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: First Direct tops our service poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
21 replies 3.6K views
MSE_Megan_FMSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 posts
Newshound!
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
First Direct has again taken the crown in our banking customer service poll with nine out of ten giving it top marks, but RBS retained its wooden spoon with almost a third rating its service 'poor.'...
Read the full story:
'First Direct tops our customer service poll (again) - check how well your bank did'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
«13

Replies

  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! First Direct topping an MSE banking poll, who'd have imagined that?

    * awaits shocking revelations about the arboreal defecatory habits of ursine mammals *
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    351 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Note to RBS/Natwest.

    maybe if you concentrated on your customers more before profits you might fair better in polls.

    RBS and natwest have terrible savings rates and mortgages aren't that great either.

    also they keep on closing branches even after the promised not to back in 2015.

    sort these out and you might do better.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    minislim wrote: »
    Note to RBS/Natwest.

    maybe if you concentrated on your customers more before profits you might fair better in polls.

    RBS and natwest have terrible savings rates and mortgages aren't that great either.

    also they keep on closing branches even after the promised not to back in 2015.


    sort these out and you might do better.
    The poll specifically asks about customer service and explicitly states "Ignore rates or any other products" so isn't an effective measure of overall satisfaction with products or branch network.

    It isn't really an effective measure of anything much, given the disparity between voter population by bank and the respective customer bases, so First Direct attracted almost as many votes as Lloyds and HSBC combined for example, i.e. their loyal band of devotees distorts the true picture....
  • PeacefulWatersPeacefulWaters Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    minislim wrote: »
    Note to RBS/Natwest.

    maybe if you concentrated on your customers more before profits you might fair better in polls.

    RBS and natwest have terrible savings rates and mortgages aren't that great either.

    also they keep on closing branches even after the promised not to back in 2015.

    sort these out and you might do better.
    I thought the lesson from this would be to match the winner branch for branch.
  • telemarkstelemarks Forumite
    255 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    eskbanker wrote: »
    It isn't really an effective measure of anything much, given the disparity between voter population by bank and the respective customer bases, so First Direct attracted almost as many votes as Lloyds and HSBC combined for example, i.e. their loyal band of devotees distorts the true picture....

    Or maybe First Direct just have great service.

    After all more Santandar (and Nationwide) Customers vote than First Direct, but that doesn't help their numbers.

    Or looking at it another way, First Direct get roughtly double the votes of HSBC, however they have less that a quarter of the number of (in Credit) Bad vote. Thats eight times better, even between brand stablemates.
  • ValiantSonValiantSon
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another statistically invalid poll on customer service of the major banks.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    14.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    telemarks wrote: »
    Or maybe First Direct just have great service.

    After all more Santandar (and Nationwide) Customers vote than First Direct, but that doesn't help their numbers.

    Or looking at it another way, First Direct get roughtly double the votes of HSBC, however they have less that a quarter of the number of (in Credit) Bad vote. Thats eight times better, even between brand stablemates.
    This happens when an entire Customer Service Centre casts their votes for their Service. #ItsNotRocketScience
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    telemarks wrote: »
    Or maybe First Direct just have great service.

    After all more Santandar (and Nationwide) Customers vote than First Direct, but that doesn't help their numbers.

    Or looking at it another way, First Direct get roughtly double the votes of HSBC, however they have less that a quarter of the number of (in Credit) Bad vote. Thats eight times better, even between brand stablemates.
    Yes, I do get the argument that by using percentages rather than absolute votes, it theoretically evens itself out, but when the sample sizes are so tiny and fragmented, it doesn't take much to skew the results, in either direction....
  • telemarkstelemarks Forumite
    255 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Yes, I do get the argument that by using percentages rather than absolute votes, it theoretically evens itself out, but when the sample sizes are so tiny and fragmented, it doesn't take much to skew the results, in either direction....
    What you say is true. But ..
    ... consider that this MSE poll has a far bigger sample size than many of those political polls, that get elicit fantastical rhetoric across all media every 5 years.
    Which type of poll has more value?
  • edited 7 March 2018 at 12:18PM
    telemarkstelemarks Forumite
    255 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 7 March 2018 at 12:18PM
    colsten wrote: »
    This happens when an entire Customer Service Centre casts their votes for their Service. #ItsNotRocketScience

    Sorry I was forgetting that only workers at one bank have access to the internet, all other banks having baned their workers from going online #GetReal

    PS Disclaimer, I do not work for FD, but have been a customer of Midland then FD for over 25years.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support