IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£100 Parking fine, not understanding the sticky’s?

Options
Hi all, I understand people say don’t make new posts if your answers are in the newbie sticky thread but as I don’t drive, didn’t receive the letter and have no idea about any of this sort of stuff, please hear me out.

On the 28th of jan me and my friends stayed at an awful hotel called “MJB” in norwich, I paid for the parking the day before we went on a separate site, I have proof as the £7.50 was taken out of my account, we arrived at the correct times and left well before the deadline. Only recently my friend who was the driver received a parking fine of £100 but can apparently be £60 if paid sooner. From what I’ve read I see some people saying ignore the first letter, wait for another etc and then appeal. But when it comes to appealing, reading the sticky I don’t understand what half of the stuff means? I’m not the brightest guy out there and usually require things to be gone over in different ways to fully understand it. So could someone kindly tell me what would be the best thing to do? Wait for another letter? Appeal now, when appealing, what exactly is it I do? Is it online, do I have to call someone? We are not very comfortable financially at all and I feel so bad about this as I’m the one that booked it and assured everyone it’s fine etc. Really sorry to make another separate thread but like I said I’m very confused and just stressing a hell of a lot.

Thank you.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    be an idea if you named the parking company for better help

was it NPE ?

DO NOT REVEAL WHO WAS DRIVING , NOT TO ANYONE

if this pcn (not a fine) was a notice in the post , to the keeper, treat it as an NTK, Notice To Keeper

use the template appeal and appeal as keeper

the pcn will tell the keeper how they can appeal, either online , by post or whatever, so the keeper must use the best method listed, ideally online , as KEEPER , not as driver

if they are posting their appeal, get a free certificate of posting from the PO (do not use SIGNED FOR)

complain to the venue yourself and get them to cancel this pcn , because you paid for it and have proof
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So could someone kindly tell me what would be the best thing to do? Wait for another letter?

Ask you friend the driver to read the NEWBIES thread, because there's nothing difficult there.

Tell us who the parking firm is.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport