Electric radiators

Options
2»

Comments

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    I've got a couple of panel radiators in the bedrooms and a fan & oil filled radiator in the lounge. I took out the storage heater as it was big & ugly and kicks out heat at the wrong time.

A brick is a brick and a kW is a kW all electrical resistance heaters cost exactly the same to run, because 100% of the electrical power is converted into heat. Congratulations you chose to pay an everlasting and permanent 30% more for your space heating and I assume water heating.

The three brands you have mentioned are essentially very high priced eye-candy, not one iota more or less efficient than a £10 LidL convector.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2018 at 5:03PM
    Options
    (Wrote this while Richie posted his, but we are saying the same thing)

Unfortunately, as ugly as they can be, the storage heater was the cheapest way to heat the property.

In my view you have made a bit of an error without researching the facts.

You will be paying 30-50% more in actual kwh cost to use day rate electric and to (I assume) heat the water tank.

----

Wasting your money on "fancy german heaters" should not even be considered.

Your panel heaters are just as good. You just have to ensure they are well sized for the room and they have working thermostats to keep the temperature consistant.

Quite often people struggle with storage heaters because they do not use the controls properly. This means they end up losing most of their heat before the day is finished.

----

An option to consider is re-installing more aesthetically appealing Storage heaters.

As I said, and will re-iterate again, they are the cheapest way to heat an all electric property along with the E7 tariff.
  • poppytody
    poppytody Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a couple of panel radiators in the bedrooms and a fan & oil filled radiator in the lounge. I took out the storage heater as it was big & ugly and kicks out heat at the wrong time.

I would have a look at Dimplex Quantum night store heaters. I have had them installed since December and I am very happy with them.

Once set the auto controls and thermostat work very well pumping out the heat when needed.

whilst no smaller that other modern night stores, they do look a lot better. If you had quite old night stores any modern night store is going to be better on the space/looks front.

The Quantums are not cheap though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport